Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby likes to nurse better when I'm engorged

Question baby likes to nurse better when I'm engorged

My LO is 8 weeks and nurses much better when I am slightly engorged. She latches perfect if my breast are slightly hard (like 1 hour before my breast would become hard as rocks). The problem is that this only haven twice per day and the other times she does not latch or nurse as well. She nurses about every 2 1/2 hours throughout the day and night. She is gaining weight well and has great poop and pee (but has gas troubles).

Is there any way to keep myself closer to the engorged state that she likes (DH likes it too )?
    Also, why do I become somewhat engorged twice per day when the time between nursing bouts is the same?

Default Re: baby likes to nurse better when I'm engorged

Hi there
    Baby probably latches a little better because the nipple protrudes slightly when you're fuller. You might try holding your breast with the thumb below and 4 fingers above (hand in a "C" shape) and gently compressing the breast as you get her to latch on. This should give your nipple about the same shape and feel as it has when you're slightly engorged. You'll also find that she'll become more skilled at latching as she gets older, her mouth grows bigger, and she has better head and neck control.

It's really not a good idea to stay engorged--it can lead to infections and mastitis. Plus, it definitely sounds like she's getting enough to eat (5+ wet disposables, 2+ dirty diapers, right?).

Your hormone levels fluctuate throughout the day. That's why sometimes you feel a bit fuller than others. You'll probably notice that you "even out" as your baby gets older!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I have tried the C hold and it works a little bit but she really does not nurse as well as when I am slightly engorged. I have tried to increase pumping to make more milk (to stay fuller) but it is not working. Any suggestions?

Have you had someone (a LLL Leader or IBCLC) look at your latch? It might be that it isn't quite right, but works when you are more full anyway. Since this has been going on for at least a couple of weeks I would try to get some in person help.

I agree with the PP. It probably warrants a call to your local LLL Leader (see the link in my signature to find one) or an IBCLC. Probably some simple adjustments will make all the difference

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

Quick update...I met with an IBCLC and she helped us with the latch. I was letting her nurse with too small of a mouth opening (I was just happy she wa on there). She is doing better now but still LOVES the first morning feeding when my breast are full and slightly lumps - I spray like a hose. The IBCLC said my LO is lazy and does not have to work much when I am full so it is more like a bottle than a breast. I also found out I have "short nipples." I wish OB's would check things like this. How is someone suppose to know what is normal?
    Thanks again for all of your help!!

Excellent! I'm glad you got the help you needed. Sometimes a minor latch adjustment makes all the difference in the world Don't worry about the "short nipples". The baby latches on to the areola, not the nipple, anyway. Plus, many "flat-nippled" women are able to successfully breastfeed!

Jen