Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeed my adopted child?

Default Breastfeed my adopted child?

I have had two children of my own, and we are adopting our third child. I have no clue how long we will wait, because we are not on a waiting list, rather they match us based on compatability. It literally could be next week, or in two years. One thing I was sad about missing out on was breastfeeding and bonding with this child in that way. Recently, I've been hearing about people breastfeeding their adopted children, and I really want to do that. Has anyone here done that before, and would you mind sharing your experience or advice? Anyone have a clue how long it takes to start producing milk and how to get started? Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeed my adopted child?

Bump!

I don't know if we have any adoptive moms active on the Forums right now, but hopefully if they're here they'll chime in.

LLLI publishes a book called Breastfeeding an Adopted Child and Relactation, by Elizabeth Hormann. You can order it from the LLLI online store or from Amazon. It might be a good place to start.

Good luck!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Congratulations on your decision to adopt! I am the mother of three children: 2 by birth and my youngest by adoption. Adoptive breastfeeding was one of the best things that I have ever done, so I am very excited for you. There are several methods for inducing lactation, and you can start before your baby arrives or once your baby is in arms. The basic technique is stimulating the breasts frequently, either with a baby nursing, a hospital-grade breast pump, or hand expression. Once baby arrives, breastfeeding with an at-breast supplementer (Lact-Aid or SNS) can encourage your baby to suckle well and give you the opportunity to bond with your baby at the breast, even if there isn't enough milk to meet his/her needs. Some mothers also take galactogogues: herbal or pharmaceutical medications that may further boost milk production. Most mothers who induce lactation make some milk, but a full milk supply.

If you start to induce lactation, it takes at least 4-6 weeks of preparation to start making milk, for most mothers. If a mother starts inducing lactation even earlier than that, she is likely to be making more milk before her baby arrives. Because you have breastfed your babies by birth, it is likely that your breasts will respond more quickly and more abundantly to inducing lactation.

Check out www.BreastfeedingWithoutBirthing.com for more information on how to get started. I wish you all the best with your adoption and with breastfeeding!

Someone asked this question in another thread and the answer was very thorough. Hopefully this link will work.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...light=Adoption
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12