Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Get pregnant while brestfeeding

Default Get pregnant while brestfeeding

Hello! I have a 9 months old baby girl, still bfeeding her and wanting to get pregnant again. Do I have to stop brest feeding her? is it harder to get pregnant while bfeeding? I would really apreciate any information about it. Thabk you!

Default Re: Get pregnant while brestfeeding

Breast feeding can delay the return of ovulation. Has your period returned yet? If your period is back then there's no issue.

I got pregnant twice while breast feeding. I'd hazard to guess that I'd be pregnant again if DH hadn't gotten the big V.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Hi mama, have you started having your period again? If so, are you having it regularly? Mothers vary a lot in the extent to which breastfeeding suppresses ovulation. If you're back on a monthly schedule of ovulating, it shouldn't be any harder to get pregnant than if you weren't breastfeeding. On the other hand, if you haven't started ovulating yet, then you can't get pregnant. And, some mothers find that they ovulate sporadically (not every month) while still breastfeeding. In that case, it may be harder to get pregnant, though fertility tracking can help you time intercourse around the time of ovulation.

and don't forget that most women lose their milk in pregnancy, and that often means their older baby will wean and, depending on age, need to be supplemented with formula. or if older baby doesn't wean, then you might end up tandem nursing, which not everyone wants to do (including me). and speaking personally, nursing in pregnancy can be pretty uncomfortable what wtih the sensitive nipples. something to consider.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Considering it can take 6 months on average to conceive, I wouldn't wean specifically to conceive. It's only my opinion, but it isn't enough of a delay to warrant weaning a baby early and denying them the advantage of being breast fed, only to gain a sibling that may not come for months anyway.

We got pregnant while nursing and ended up weaning during pregnancy due to my supply dropping. There's always been a part of me that was saddened that their nursing time with me was shortened due to pregnancy. I wouldn't change the spacing of my girls, but that is a small regret of mine. However weaning early due to pregnancy is very different from choosing to wean for the possibility of pregnancy. IMHO.

We won't be having any more babies. DD3 is 14.5 months and still nursing like a fiend. I look forward to being able to provide for her until we're BOTH ready to move on.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and