Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chin-led latching ..flat nipples!

Default Chin-led latching ..flat nipples!

Okay, I've been through a few breakdowns over the past few weeks because I'm battling breastfeeding and just wanting to switch to formula. Which, though it shouldn't, seems like less of a hassle.

I was on the board before under judesmomma but for some reason, I couldn't log in and when I tried to recover my password it said the page didn't exist. Bummer.

Anyway, as I mentioned in previous posts I am doomed to the nipple shield. I had a FANTASTIC appointment with a lactation consultant from the hospital we delivered at. But, I think I only get one appointment due to my insurance. I'm not sure though. I can also see one through WIC, which I may do.... because I'm getting exhausted and discouraged. I want to be off this nipple shield today. I think it's hindering my supply- and I don't feel like I enjoy breastfeeding. I feel like I'm just attaching a nipple to MY nipple and just.. I don't know. I really find myself detaching from it because after the screaming- knocking off the shield- and him refusing to suck on it any other way than like it's a straw... I'm just... I don't know

Like my title says, I was watching a dvd that was given to me through the WIC office about breastfeeding and it was talking about chin led latching -which sounds great b/c all the women on the dvd had fantastic nipples! pointy etc.. I have flat nipples. However when my baby does nurse it comes out just fine. But, he wont nurse without the shield to know that- much.

We tried again today and I did get him to latch and nurse for about 3 - 4 minutes before he realized there was no shield got mad and started freaking out.

Im saying all this to maybe ask for suggestions? Any fast way to get off the sheild without cutting it which is dangerous?

Any technique I'm missing? How to get them before they're histerical. I even tried to get him to latch in between feedings- when he wasn't starving. It made him so upset.

I honestly can't use the shield for the next 12 months. I can't pump exclusively- it depresses me. I tried. I just got frustrated.

I don't know, maybe I need an actual therapist hah.

Any suggestions? LO is 7 weeks, doing fine. Gaining fine, but I'm also giving bottles of formula..(dont worry- i pump when i do that) ... just because it's less stressful.

I want to breastfeed SO BAD b/c my Mom wasn't able to with me for the same mechanical issue of flat nipples- but there wasn't as much support when I was a baby. I want to beat the odds, experience breastfeeding without any fake nipples... I just.. need some advice or just support.

Thanks. Sorry for all the bad spelling.

Default Re: Chin-led latching ..flat nipples!

There truly is no shortcut...Weaning off the sheild takes time and patience on both your parts. BUT, usually, once baby nurses even one time or just a few minutes without the sheild, you are home free. So it can take time to get there, but once there, it's sheilds one day and none the next-usually. Sometimes one side takes longer than the other,

If you can see a board cert. lc through WIC, do it!! Also Look into your insurance again-maybe you get one automatic appt but can get more if your pediatrician refers...heck, call the ibclc you saw and ask her how you can see her again. There may be a way...

I would suggest, stop thinking you have something wrong with you, anatomically. You don't. Many babies nurse just fine on 'flat' nipples. Why is too complicated to go into here, but the fact your baby will only nurse with the sheilds at this point may have absolutely nothing to do with your breast shape. This is why breastfeeding videos can be counterproductive-possibly, those moms and babies were chosen for the video because they can latch so well and thier anatomy can clearly be seen. Try the techniques if you want but do not compare yourself to the video moms!

Have you tried breast sandwich? Nipple 'flip' ?

Try nursing baby when baby is asleep. Try instant reward techniques...besides the info on weaning off sheilds, look at info on bringing a relectant nurser to the breast. If your baby can nurse for 4 minutes without the sheild, he can nurse for a whole session without. You just have to convince him to keep trying.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

i forgot-when I weaned my guy off the sheild, I tried to nurse without it at almost every nursing session. Sometimes before, sometimes when we switched sides, sometimes after he had nursed actively and was drifting off to sleep. Sometimes the 'try' was very short. But I tried multiple times each day.

Also-if you stop the formula, you can probably stop pumping, or at least not need to pump as much. So is the formula really easier?

So true about the formula, it's not but he always seems so hungry even after the shield is bone dry. He just pops off and starts crying

Also, thank you for the websites. It's so sad when he seems absolutely repulsed by breast without shield. *sigh* But, I know I want to keep trying until I have nothing left to give.

There is no baby on earth who is repulsed by any part of his mom. He is used to the sheild and does not 'get it' without it. -yet.

Some babies can not even latch or nurse at all at 7 weeks and go on to nurse great.

So true about the formula, it's not but he always seems so hungry even after the shield is bone dry. He just pops off and starts crying
    many moms supplement because baby seems 'unsatisfied' after nursing. But this is not an indication supplements are needed!

Do you mean your sheild 'tip' is visibly full of milk at the beginning of the session but looks 'dry' later?