Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush for 2 months!

Default Thrush for 2 months!

So my LO has thrush at 2 weeks old. He got nyistatin and about a week later I got the nipple ointment. I got on the candida diet right away. I HATE giving my LO anything but breast milk so using this sugary nystatin horrified me. Especially when yeast feeds off of sugar. So he seemed to be clearing up quit fast from his 1 st round of nystatin. I stopped when the bottle was almost empty because I heard of GSE. That kicked the rest if the thrush out of his mouth.. But I was still infected and I reinfected him. I was/am doing the apple cider vinegar and water rinse after feedings. We have been doing this for 2 months now. The other 2 rounds of nystatin were given as the doctor said. It is pretty bad on his lip now. Is there anything else I can do?
    Gentian violet was used on my nipples only and that killed the thrush on my nips but he reinfected me. He only sleeps with the nip in his mouth. If I take it out to soon he freaks! And I'm scared to use gentian violet in his mouth. I've read it's a carcinogen. On the other hand a lot of people recommend it... Anything else you ladies have tried that worked for you?

Default Re: Thrush for 2 months!

I think you might need to get a round of prescription diflucan for yourself, and maybe for your LO too. As for gentian violet being carcinogenic, I think it was only ever 1 study that found that, though I can't remember where I read that.

Default Re: Thrush for 2 months!

i don't know about specific studies, but gentian violet has been used for a very long time to treat thrush and is routinely suggested by breastfeeding experts. I just wrote more about thrush in this thread- http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-call-it-quits