Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS- Need some answers?

Default BLS- Need some answers?

Hi everyone,

DD is 5 mts and wont be introducing solids for another while yet but need to get some information.

DD is EBF and I want to continue until the 1yr mark. I want to go down the route of BLS -[spoonfree zone], so solid food from the start, no purees etc.

Has anyone else gone down this route?What types of food are you offering to start with and How much to start with?
    I presume any liquid type foods [cereals, yogurt etc] are left until baby can fed themselves??

Anything to avoid? and does the food have to be finger size or specific size?

Default Re: BLS- Need some answers?

Lots of moms here do BLS, you'll find tons of threads about it. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are some pretty common foods to start with, though really you could do lots of different foods. How much doesn't really matter, that's the beauty of BLS. You put the food there and let them eat (or not) as much or as little as they want. Most of the time they don't actually get much down the first several tries, it's more about playing and exploring.

The ideal shape is like a wide french fry- something baby can hold in their fist and still have room to gnaw on the end. Bananas are perfect because if you press a finger on the tip of one it will split into thirds lengthwise and you can just give baby one and let them have at it. Steamed brocolli works really well too, just leave enough of the stem to hold. Sweet potato cut in wedges and baked until soft. Avocado slices. A whole peeled apple or pear (they can hold it easily and if it's whole they can't really get a 'bite' off it, they just suck and scrape at it with their gums/teeth. Really, most fruits work if you cut them the right way. Veggies too, just don't cut them too small (I went by the bigger-than-my-pinky rule).

What worked best for us was to try and give baby whatever we were having, but in a more basic form. That way I was really only having to fix one dinner, though I sometimes had to pull the baby's portion out before finishing it with salt or added ingredients she wasn't ready for yet. We did a lot of black beans, shredded meats, larger pasta shapes (like rotini or penne), roasted veggies (with a touch of olive oil).

Liquids can be done with dipping, though you'd probably want to wait until 1)baby is more coordinated and 2)you're giving more than one food at a time. For example you can let baby dip toast strips in yogurt (which I think the current recommendation is to wait until around 8 months on) or veggies in hummus. But again, go slow with that because it's best to introduce one food/ingredient at a time in the beginning.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

we did a back-of-the-hand/no-books version of BLS which was basically, "let's do what's easy". so we gave DS whatever things we were eating that he could have. one of his first foods was cooked broccoli florets, that were coated in whatever sauce we were eating. including spicy stuff - it would sometimes be too spicy for him and then he'd just nurse immediately. another first was meat on the bone - a hunk of bone he could hold, then suck & gnaw on - i'd eat all or almost all i could get off first, then give it to him.

and we did yogurt and oatmeal too, that i spoon-fed him. i figured anything that COMES in spoon-feeding format was ok to spoon-feed him.

we also totally did not do the one-food-at-a-time thing, and i honestly don't understand it. neither of us has any major food allergies, though, so maybe i would have rethought that if we had.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

There are many moms on this site that did BLS. Use the search function to locate some of the threads. Here was a long one with lots of ideas: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...om-BLS-rambles

I read the book Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley and I have heard the related recipe book is also really good.

ETA: good point above about spoon feeding yogurt and stuff. just because you choose to do BLS doesn't mean you can't feed with a spoon ever, it just means giving baby the opportunity to do it themselves and not stressing if they don't eat what you have planned, like half a jar of pea puree.
    Last edited by @llli*sassypants; May 2nd, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    we also totally did not do the one-food-at-a-time thing, and i honestly don't understand it. neither of us has any major food allergies, though, so maybe i would have rethought that if we had.
    Yeah, it's the sort of thing that doesn't really matter...until it matters. It just simplifies things in case your kid has a reaction to something. You automatically know what it was that caused it so there's no guessing game. I wasn't strict about it at all with my daughter, but she never had any obvious problems with food. My son on the other hand...totally different situation.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous