Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowest flow nipples? Glass bottles?

Default Slowest flow nipples? Glass bottles?

I'm going to be returning to work in a couple weeks, so DS will be bottle-fed EBM during the day. He's already has the occasional bottle in preparation, but drinks them down way too fast! DH tries to slow him down with frequent pauses, but DS HATES that and yowels like a feral child. I love GLASS, but the newborn flow on my glass Avents seems way too fast. I've switched it up with the Medela bottles, which do seem better (but not glass, oh well). The Medelas are also convenient since my plan is to pump what I need for the next day directly into them (crosses fingers that I have enough supply). Can I do better though? Which slowest-flow nipple brands do you like? Any glass bottle brands with slower flowing nipples than the Avents? Anyone try the nipples for Lifefactory bottles?

Default Re: Slowest flow nipples? Glass bottles?

we used evenflo glass bottles, and most of the nipples we tried (which weren't too many, ds wasn't picky) fit on them. we preferred the dr brown's slow flo nipples.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks auderey. I was just looking into the evenflo as they're compatible with medela PIS... And cheap! Anyone know if nuk nipples are compatible with them? Also, do you know if the medela bottle caps fit on the evenflo bottles? I have a bunch of nice ones that allow you to indicate the day of the week they were pumped and I'd love to still use them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*korovamilkbar View Post
    Also, do you know if the medela bottle caps fit on the evenflo bottles?
    yes, we never had any trouble. honestly, i was worried with all the talk i hear of all these incompatible bottles and threads and everythign - but i never once had a problem.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You can check your nipples to make sure they aren't worn out or the wrong flow speed. Hold the nipple upside down and run some water into it. Slow flow nipples should drip about one drop per second. If it's going too fast, replace them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out! I wanted glass, not expensive, compatible with my PISA and with a wide-base, slow flow nipple. The system we ended up with, which has worked very well, is the Evenflo glass bottles coupled with the Medela wide-base nipple and ring. They were the widest base nipples that I could find that fit on a regular (not widemouth) bottle. And the Evenflo bottles are great--very sturdy, cheap. We have 12 of them. I pump directly into the Evenflo bottles hooked up to my PISA. I use the yellow Medela caps for storage. I am positive your caps will work. It's been a good system and I've never had one break or leak.

Also, I want to add, if you are like me and benefit a lot in terms of your stress level when you're able to streamline annoying chores like washing bottles and pump parts, and if you're not averse to spending a little more money on your pumping setup... I would like to recommend buying 5 full sets of pump parts (if you work 5 days/week). I wish I had done this when I first went back to work. I had 2 sets, one that came with my pump and one that I got in the hospital when my baby wasn't latching well and they had me pumping. Then after forgetting my pump parts 2x at home and buying more, I ended up with 4. And I finally bought a 5th set just to get to 5. Now, I bring all 5 sets into work with me on Monday morning and I never wash pump parts on weeknights or have to remember to bring parts with me in the morning. I pack them in a mesh lingerie bag with a zipper and carry that in a tote bag. I just use a set during the day, bring it home with me at night, throw them into a tub and then on the weekend I soak them for a few hours and then wash them in hot soapy water. I also leave my pump at work. It's removed a LOT of the burden of pumping for me. I bring my ice pack and cooler to tote my milk home in, but that's it. Like I said, I wish I'd done this from the beginning! It's a bit of an investment in a lot of otherwise useless plastic, but I hope I can use it all for baby #2 and even if not, it is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    yes, we never had any trouble. honestly, i was worried with all the talk i hear of all these incompatible bottles and threads and everythign - but i never once had a problem.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    You can check your nipples to make sure they aren't worn out or the wrong flow speed. Hold the nipple upside down and run some water into it. Slow flow nipples should drip about one drop per second. If it's going too fast, replace them.
    All the nipples are new (rarely used) and size 1. I tested them like you suggested and while the Avent nipple was a drop per second, the Medela was definitely faster. Interesting because DS guzzles the Avent bottles down faster.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out! I wanted glass, not expensive, compatible with my PISA and with a wide-base, slow flow nipple. The system we ended up with, which has worked very well, is the Evenflo glass bottles coupled with the Medela wide-base nipple and ring. They were the widest base nipples that I could find that fit on a regular (not widemouth) bottle. And the Evenflo bottles are great--very sturdy, cheap. We have 12 of them. I pump directly into the Evenflo bottles hooked up to my PISA. I use the yellow Medela caps for storage. I am positive your caps will work. It's been a good system and I've never had one break or leak.
    I'm thinking Evenflo is where it's at! I just took a chance and ordered 2 packs of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    Also, I want to add, if you are like me and benefit a lot in terms of your stress level when you're able to streamline annoying chores like washing bottles and pump parts, and if you're not averse to spending a little more money on your pumping setup... I would like to recommend buying 5 full sets of pump parts (if you work 5 days/week). I wish I had done this when I first went back to work. I had 2 sets, one that came with my pump and one that I got in the hospital when my baby wasn't latching well and they had me pumping. Then after forgetting my pump parts 2x at home and buying more, I ended up with 4. And I finally bought a 5th set just to get to 5. Now, I bring all 5 sets into work with me on Monday morning and I never wash pump parts on weeknights or have to remember to bring parts with me in the morning. I pack them in a mesh lingerie bag with a zipper and carry that in a tote bag. I just use a set during the day, bring it home with me at night, throw them into a tub and then on the weekend I soak them for a few hours and then wash them in hot soapy water. I also leave my pump at work. It's removed a LOT of the burden of pumping for me. I bring my ice pack and cooler to tote my milk home in, but that's it. Like I said, I wish I'd done this from the beginning! It's a bit of an investment in a lot of otherwise useless plastic, but I hope I can use it all for baby #2 and even if not, it is worth it to me.
    This is a great idea! I was actually stressing about having to clean on top of pump during my already BUSY schedule. My friend hooked me up with a spare pump that I need to order parts for. I already decided that will be my weekend pump and I'll use the newer one at work. I think I'll order extras for work!

So, with the Evenflos I also went ahead and ordered Dr. Brown's preemie nipples, with the hope that it'll take DS longer to feed. The size 1s all seem way too fast. At least nipples aren't *too* expensive, so if they don't work out I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your help ladies!

buying all the pump parts in multiple is a great idea, sprocket! i don't know how you got by with 12 bottles - we probably have 4 or 5 dozen! but then i froze in them a lot. anway, extra bottles also cut down on the weekday washing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Ha! Good point. I also had a bunch of the small (2.5oz?) cylindrical medela bottles from when I was pumping in the hospital. So I would bring those with my pump parts and glass bottles and put one of the plastic ones on my left side (which I never pump more than 1-2 oz from) and the Evenflo bottle on my right and then pour it all into the glass bottle at the end. There was a few weeks there where I was pumping more than the 5 oz that the Evenflo bottles would hold, so occasionally I would come home with some in the plastic bottles too but not usually. I only froze milk in the bags. I mostly wanted glass because I didn't want to have someone heating plastic bottles, but I was OK with freezing in the storage bags. But I can understand wanting to avoid plastic altogether, too. Anyway, we keep 2 bottles at daycare so I really only have 10! But I only ever pump 2x per day because I nurse at lunch time so I will use 2 bottles per day for 5 days without washing. So yeah, if you routinely pump larger volumes, 3-ish times per day and want to have some for storage, 4-5 dozen sounds about right they are cheap enough, anyway!