Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing to wean

Default Re: Preparing to wean

Some thoughts that may or may not apply to your situation: For me, it works best to go away for a couple of hours. Don't expect dad to pick up the slack on cue if you are around tending to the baby on and off. Baby often prefers mom when there's a choice and most guys feel crappy when rejected by their kid. Guys also like to keep busy instead of waiting around to be needed, so when you DO need them, they are... well, busy. But if you grab a laptop and run out to a coffee shop for a couple hours to do your school work, the child will better accept dad, dad will be in a clearer position of responsibility to the child, and he'll step up. You'll get your work done a lot faster too. Then you can come home and nurse her. Do NOT let people use her nursing as an excuse for not being able to care for her. I got that a lot and it's bull. Obviously; your child is in child care. I can take care of someone else's breastfed baby just fine. If mom isn't in the building, she will learn to accept other ways of being comforted. BUT when you are around, it really IS tricky for others to comfort her at this age. She is young enough to have a strong desire to suck, and old enough to know where the milk is. But if you are gone, she will adapt to the situation. Dads are the same way. Daddies fuss for the first couple minutes the first few times mommies leave them with the baby, but they get used to it and start to savor that time alone with their child when they can be the favored parent.

Thanks for all the great suggestions lllmeg and bfwmomof3! I have at times asked certain family members to come sit with her a few hours while I got some things done and didn't receive the response I was hoping for. Going to a family member's house to do my school work may go over better. I hadn't really gave this option much thought because it would definitely be easier for me if they came to me but I may have to settle for this. It's good to hear that I'm not being selfish wanting to spend every spare waking non-working moment with my DD. I've always thought to myself that this is my baby. The grandparents and great grandparents had their time with their own and now is my time with mine. There will be plenty of time for them to spend with her when she is older. She may end up being my one and only so I want to spend every minute of her infancy with her as I can.

Back to my original topic: pump weaning. Once she turns a year old whether I am just starting the pumping weaning or have completed how do I start introducing her to cow's milk. If she is a year old and I am no longer pumping at work and no longer have a stash what should I be giving her during the day at daycare.

I definitely need to get on her and vent more frequently. Nobody supports me the way you ladies do and that's exactly what I need at this point. I so wish there were more convientent local support groups because I would definitely attend. It would be nice to have in person support. I also wish my family would see things more like I/we do. It would greatly reduce my stress and aniexty.

Once she's a year and you've weaned from the pump, you can offer her whole cow's milk at daycare. If you pump-wean before a year, she should have formula at daycare.

The best way to introduce com's milk is to give it to your LO and hope that she likes it. Not all kids do. If yours doesn't, you can get her needs for "dairy" met by giving her whole-milk yogurt, cheese, or other fat and calcium-rich solids. It's easiest to use cow's milk or yogurt and cheese, though- you don't have to be as precise a nutritionist in order to make sure baby gets what she needs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When you pump wean, you have two options. If you are still nursing and your LO is nursing 3-5 times/24 hours, there is no need for additional dairy. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't give dairy, but it just gives you more flexibility in terms of your options. (Another advantage of continuing to nurse!). My LO for example is not interested in cow's milk. On the other hand, with my oldest, a few weeks after he turned one I started working really crazy hours, so I wasn't nursing more than once or twice a day, and I did switch him to cow's milk at the time of pump weaning. He took to it right away. Babies differ! Nothing special about introducing the cow's milk if you want to go that route; just give it to LO in a sippy cup. Technically you're supposed to wait until age 1 but if you don't have any reason to suspect dairy intolerance it's fine to start giving sips in the weeks leading up to the first birthday to see if she'll like it. If you don't want to do cow's milk, you can have daycare give water in a sippy cup. Also, if you're not nursing 3-5 times per day, if LO does not like cow's milk, you can also offer other forms of dairy, like yogurt or cheese.

Julie, Thanks for the suggestion. There isn't really anywhere close that I could go but maybe with the nice weather I will try sitting outside at the picnic table. That way DD doesn't know that I'm technically still there.

mommal & bfwmomof3, Thanks for the tips on cow's milk and other dairy. I don't plan on giving her formula at all. I'm hoping within the next couple of months to increase my freezer stash if anything so that I can start slowing decreasing my pumping sessions at work a couple of weeks in advance. If I'm not completely pump free by a year I hope that it won't be a big deal for me to at least pump once at work. If not I still have the option of going home at lunch time to pump so that I'm not uncomfortable.

I think your plan is perfect!