Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Weaning/ Reducing Nursing Sessions

Default Night Weaning/ Reducing Nursing Sessions

DD is almost 18 months old and still wakes 3-8 times per night to nurse. She also nurses upwards of 15 times during the day, unless we are out and she is very distracted. How can I reduce nursing sessions? I want her to self wean in the future, but I need to be able to go more than an hour at home without her begging to nurse. She finally drank some almond milk (I've tried multiple times and with coconut and rice milk, too) this morning, but not a lot. She drinks water from a sippy, but seems to want to satisfy her thirst with breast milk straight from the source. I've tried breast milk in a cup, but she spit it back out. Any suggestions to reduce nursing sessions?

Default Re: Night Weaning/ Reducing Nursing Sessions

Don't sit down.

Been there. You work so hard to get nursing off to a good start and then they are 1 and a half and suddenly you realize getting them to NOT nurse is the hard part!

She could be bored.

Barbara Colorossa teaches the three R's for discipline: Rules, Rituals and Routine. For most of my parenting issues, I find the answer is VERY often an issue of Routine. Kids look for and lock into patterns - some more so than others. If you get up, make coffee and sit on the couch in the morning, the kid will start asking to nurse right as you pick up your coffee cup. To change a routine, I need to determine exactly what I want the NEW routine to look like, and I need to plan to invest more attention in my child up front when introducing the new routine. I'll be honest; I have, in the past, replaced a nursing time with a half hour of TV. Not the best alternative, but it was a distraction that worked when toys and books did not. But what's best for getting the day to start without a two hour nursing marathon EVERY dog gone morning is something like: have a delicious treat packed for breakfast, pack the clothes, get up, jump in the car, and run errands. Then go to the park. Then go out for lunch together. Then home for nap, and hopefully she falls asleep in the car. Try to get into this kind of routine for at least a couple weeks. Then when you ARE home, know that she'll start thinking about nursing the second she gets bored, so plan on moving and playing a lot until she starts to associate being home with things other than nursing... and, er, TV.

I've looked into almond milk, but, like rice milk, it doesn't seem to have much protein. I know a nursing child doesn't need cow milk, but that's what we drink. My daughter loved warm milk sweetened with blackstrap molasses. My son likes soymilk chai. When we have some extra cash, a steamer from the coffee shop will win over mama milk almost every time.

I'm trying the new routine thing. She nurses as soon as she wakes up. Some mornings she will fall back to sleep for an hour or so, nursing off and on. Then we get up and get dressed, eat breakfast in her high chair (it goes better when my 3 year old nephew is awake at the same time and eating with her). It is after that that she tries to nurse a ton. And now she can climb on the couch herself, so I need to get up, but be in the same room to stop her from climbing. Yesterday and today I have tried giving her her cup and she took it a few times. Other times I told her to go to the kitchen if she was hungry and she went straight to her chair, so I fed her a snack. She cannot have cow's milk due to milk protein intolerance.
    Last edited by @llli*trishb; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*julie.nietling View Post
    Don't sit down.
    and Avoiding your customary nursing locations is actually really helpful. Can you get baby out of the house more? To the park, to the store? Wen they are surrounded by things which are new and interesting, babies tend to want to nurse less, and give up on nursing a little easier. You can use the "you need to wait until we get home/to the car/to a place where I can sit down" to delay.

This won't last forever, I promise! At 15 months my kids both still nursed like newborns. By age 2, they were down to just 3-5 sessions per day, without me really having to push weaning.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We only have one car and DH is gone 4:45am-3:30pm. We have a small backyard to take her out in, but she still wants to nurse outside even with all of the toys we have for them out there! And we live on a small street off of a highway, so minimal walking down the street. I wanted to move into a larger neighborhood, but this house was too good to skip over.

I can understand why she wants to nurse in the backyard- that must feel like an extension of the house to her. Her territory, so to speak.

Do you have a sand or water table? Those are really good toddler toys. They can spend a really long time splashing and sifting.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"