Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible Thrush

Question Possible Thrush

DS is 2 weeks old tomorrow, and so far nursing has been going great. I don't have any pain or rashes, but I've noticed he has a bunch of tiny white flecks on his tongue. At first I thought it was just small curds from frequent spit-ups (very small volume, just a little when I burp him after feeds), but I've realized it's there even when he hasn't spit up. It doesn't scrape off when I rub his tongue.

I'm thinking of taking probiotics as an early treatment and seeing how it goes. I figure that won't hurt anything even if it's not thrush, but could help keep things from getting much worse. What do y'all think? I really don't want to go to the doctor unless it's absolutely necessary, and right now he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort from it.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Default Re: Possible Thrush

if nursing has been going great and you are not in pain, I really would not worry about it. However, as you say, mom taking probiotics will not hurt anything.

Thrush sores tend to be patchy/blotchy looking, bleed or look red when gently scraped, and occur in other places in the mouth as well as or instead of the tongue. White spots or coating on baby's tongue are entirely normal and alone do not indicate thrush.

on the other hand, thrush can be present and baby have no symptoms. But mom would.

congrats on dear new baby btw!

I'm pretty sure now this is thrush. I'm starting to get tender during nursing, and my nipples are very pink, unusually so. He is also getting white patches on the roof of his mouth. I'm giving him probiotics as well now, and swabbing us both with diluted grapefruit seed extract. I'm also going to give my daughter some probiotics as well, since she still nurses a couple times a day.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.

roof of mouth, yes that does sound like thrush. You will probably need to actively treat your daughter as well, not just the probiotics.

So we did go to the doctor today. Despite using the GSE hourly yesterday, we were both worse today. The doctor did check out DD as well, but she seems to be holding her own against it. I'll be giving her probiotics for now, just to be sure. I have a diflucan percription for myself, and Nystatin (sp?) drops for DS, for now. We're all going to continue the probiotics, as well, not just DD. Hopefully symptoms will clear up soon, because my nipples are really getting sore!
    Proud mama to:

OK I double checked and in the textbook Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple it suggests that tandem nursing sibling be treated as well IF there is a recurance. So, Hopefully what you are doing will do the trick.