Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did you start giving your baby combos of food?

Default When did you start giving your baby combos of food?

I'm just kind of curious as to when people started feeding their babies combinations of foods, not just plain whole ones. DD is almost 8 and a half months old, and has done lots of fruits/veggies/black beans, and some starches (we've let her gnaw on a bagel or pizza crust a couple times) and whole grains. She has not shown any kind of a reaction to anything so far, and the only history of allergies in the family is dairy (just a mild reaction, nothing life threatening). We don't eat meat, so a lot of our protein comes from things that I put in chilis or casseroles, like quinoa, beans, lentils, etc.. I'm just wondering if it's safe to start offering bits of things like that? or should I wait a while longer?

Thanks ladies!

Default Re: When did you start giving your baby combos of food?

We started giving spaghetti with meat sauce, lentil stew, soup, ravioles, lasagna, and such things around 8 mo.

I had to calculate when my LO was 8.5 months. It was around Thanksgiving time. I offered her most of what we were eating - anything that was compatible with her feeding it to herself. I do have to say I was a lot less cautious with her than my older two . Quinoa, lentils, beans all sounds like good stuff - yummy! I read another thread in the last day or two which I think had a good philosophy - if you let LO self-feed, anything they don't like they'll spit out!

While we do mostly breastmilk I make a smoothie in the vitamix every morning. It has any number of fruits and veggies plus dates and coconut milk. We've been letting DD taste them since probably 8 months. Now at 9.5 months she seems to really like them but we still limit her to what prob amounts to a tablespoon or two. She happily nurses before and after.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

We do baby led solids and never limit introduction to just one food at a time. I have multiple food allergies and we have other allergies/sensitivities in our family, so we already know what's in our food as we tend to make everything from scratch. If my kids have a reaction, it's very easy to backtrack and examine what we should eliminate.

DD was ready for solids right around six months adjusted (she's a former 28 weeker, so she was nearly nine months by actual birthdate). She eats whatever we eat.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)