Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gutted. 21 month old still asking 6 times a day but no milk

Thumbs down Gutted. 21 month old still asking 6 times a day but no milk

I've never had much milk, no breast enlargement during or after pregnancy, unable to pump despite trying and trying. But, have persevered!
    Up until 4 weeks ago I was feeding 21month old 6 times; on waking, mid morning, lunch time, afternoon, bedtime, dream feed.
    Toddler's head cold meant nursing strike and for 2 days she did not feed, then re established back to 4 times a day (not enough milk for any more than that).
    Last week I cut out 3 night feeds as it kept disturbing her sleep, but went back to it to keep up supply. Occasionally she misses day time feeds when I work at weekends.
    All fine until yesterday when no morning milk. Nothing again until bed time, no night milk, no morning milk, a little this lunch time, and now, none again despite her really trying and lots of tears and asking for milk at bed time.

I'm gutted, I was prepared to wean on her terms, not due to my useless boobs.
    I am taking fenugreek, and am fit, healthy, well fed, and haven't had any changes that should decrease supply.
    How the heck do we cope with this? Boobs now hurt from extended trying to feed...
    Any help or experience gratefully received xxxxx

Default Re: Gutted. 21 month old still asking 6 times a day but no m

Hey mama, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but saw you had a lot of views and no responses and I wanted to at least lend my support. I hope others have advice for you.

I started a reply and then my computer quit on me, so let me try again!

Okay, my first thought is- and please don't take this as critical- are you SURE you don't have milk? Often moms mistake not feeling letdowns for not having letdowns. Usually babies and toddlers are pretty able to get at least some milk, provided they are nursing effectively. And the more you nurse, the more milk you'll make; supply = demand, just as with a newborn.

My second thought is that perhaps there is something standing in the way of your supply- pregnancy? A new hormonal contraceptive?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

hi again, and thank you for the support and advice
    Def not pregnant! also no contraceptive - don't really need one with a toddler to wear me out! DH not getting a look in at the mo
    A few times there's not been any/there's been very little milk, I know that because we have long nursing followed by little one crying and asking for milk..
    I went to see a lactation consultant today, she suggested adding a feed in between 12 and 4 am and also getting a doc appt and blood test for thyroid and prolactin...
    One successful feed today, so feeling a bit better!
    Thanks again

Okay, in that case it sounds like you're following the right course of action! I'm impressed that the LC suggested the blood tests- thyroid function is an often overlooked part of the breastfeeding puzzle! Increased number of nursing sessions is a great way to regain supply, so that's another excellent step.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"