Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike... help!

Default Nursing Strike... help!

My 8 month old has recently started biting while on the breast. Last night, she caught me by surprise and bit me pretty hard and I reacted with a yell. That stopped our nursing session. I put her to bed and she slept soundly through the entire night. Now this morning, she refuses the breast. As an aside, she has been refusing a bottle for the last few weeks. I thought I would give it a try again so she could at least get some pumped milk. She still pushes the bottle away. I've tried putting some milk in a sippy cup. She won't take it in that either. I figured I would just feed her her morning solids and skip the milk. She's refusing to eat as well. I don't know what to do...

Default Re: Nursing Strike... help!

I'm so sorry mama! I don't have much experience here.. All I can say is keep offering. Perhaps if you could make today a cuddle day, keep her close and try to stay calm. I know its scary when they won't eat - but just remember that eventually she will eat! Hopefully one of the other mama's here with more experience will chime in soon.

This link covers all the ways I know of to end a strike: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Be patient, calm, and persistent! I know this is really hard.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Be patient, calm and KNOW that a child that is striking can ALL their needs met by nursing in their sleep or while sleepy UNTIL they stop striking. The refusal of food as well as the biting sounds like teeth. I would dose with motrin and see if that encourages her to nurse or eat.

Way too lazy for formula

My LO will often fuss and not want to nurse. I tried rubbing her lower gum with my finger and it encouraged her to latch on. I have to make the transition from finger to nipple pretty quick but it works pretty well. Just an idea. Good luck mama... let us know how things work out.
    Life is Beautiful.