Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions?

Default Suggestions?

My little man is now 3 days from being 7 months old and he's really loving baby led solids. I won't say he's eating much but he loves playing with food and chewing on it. If I'm eating and I don't offer him something he will pitch a fit! That said, he doesn't like bland food at all. The few things that I've offered him in desperation that would be heavily flavored he has acted very excited about. My problem is that most of the things I can come up with that are flavorful have lots of ingredients and I'm worried about introducing too much at once. I'm looking for suggestions for some very flavorful foods that are young baby friendly that aren't unhealthy for him. When I was pregnant I ate lots of heavily spiced foods with the idea of not having a picky eater and I seem to have accomplished it lol!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    Married to wonderful husband Chris - 2004.

Finally, after 8 years of trying, we were blessed with a beautiful Tristan - Oct 2012

Proud of my bonus son Drake - Oct, 2000

We're having so much fun

Default Re: Suggestions?

I also let my LO's grab what ever they wanted from my plate. babies who have mastered the skill of self feeding can also spit out a food they don't like! I don't think spicy garlicy or cumin is a problem for babies. I thought it was ingrediants like too much salt or artificial sweeteners that pose a danger.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Agree with PP, what you need to watch out for is salt and artificial sweeteners and flavours. Until age two their kidneys are not fully developed to deal with salt. And the whole artificial stuff whther flavours or sweeteners should be avoided as long as you can.

Try herbal salt replacements to add flavour to his food instead of salt - ususally they contain large amounts of celeriac which is quite salty/tangy. Or make your own baby freindly spice mix, leaving out salt and the very hot stuff such as chillies.

Everything else such as herbs, cumin or fenugreek (gives nice flavour in rice dishes and pizza sauces) etc is no problem, and like esthervegan wrote, they spit out what they do not like. Only if you or husband are into searing hot chillies you do need to watch out, even touching them can be problematic when she touches her eyes.
    Last edited by @llli*mammi; April 30th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Thank you for the advice! I will look into using salt replacements, even though we don't eat much of that anyway. And I will quit worrying about him trying something too spiced for him! Thanks for relieving a new mother's mind!
    Married to wonderful husband Chris - 2004.

Finally, after 8 years of trying, we were blessed with a beautiful Tristan - Oct 2012

Proud of my bonus son Drake - Oct, 2000

We're having so much fun