Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Nursing Mom... HELP!

Default Re: First Time Nursing Mom... HELP!

Just skimming the replies, so maybe someone already said this, but I am a HORRIBLE pumper and even with overactive let down and over supply and leaky shirts, I just couldn't get pumps to efficiently express for me. I think the sound is like a turn off to my breasts. ANYWAY, I could get the MOST milk out when nursing the kid on one side and pumping on the other at the same time. Having the baby nurse while I pumped made a huge difference, so hopefully you are pumping during the first nursing session you have when you are reunited. This will probably give you more milk than both sessions at work. First nursing in the morning was also a good pumping time for me. Pumping while the baby was gone: Just frustrating, and made me miss my baby. I babysat for a mother who always nursed her baby right away when she came back, and pumped at the same time. Then she left the freshly pumped bottle in my fridge for the next day. It worked really well.

I also can only pump twice at work. I fit in a pumping session before I leave for work which also happens to be about 2 hours nursing my DD before she leaves for daycare. That first session I get anywhere from 1-3 (normally 1 or 2). My two sessions at work I get anywhere from 3-4 at each session. I send DD to daycare with 2- 3oz bottles and 1- 2oz (her last bottle being the 2oz since she will be at home with me nursing in about 2 hrs). She is given her bottles in 3-4hr intervals. She has been nursing once or twice through the night since she started teething and I have seen in increase in my daytime pumping. Prior to teething she would usually sleep till the time I normally wake her to get her ready for daycare in the morning. Good luck.

Oh...and I also take the Nursing Blend supplement. I think it may help a little but nothing tremendous. I have thought of adding in a little more Fenugreek but from what I just read in this thread it is pretty much normal for bottles to be only 2-3oz so I think I am pretty much right where I need to be.

hello....just wanted to say that after reading your post, i thought i had written it myself without knowing! It sounds exactly what i am going through from the 6 oz total for pumping output to supplementing with formula to baby eating about 18-20 oz when i'm at work.

no advice from me but reading this makes me more determined to continue pumping (despite the low output) since baby will be turning 6 months end of this week so can start a bit of solids and hopefully can cut down on the formula!

rooting for you and hope i can stay on track too!

oh i wanted to mention that i have been renting the Medela Symphony as well to pump for past 2-3 months and i honestly can't say my supply went up although the pumping time is slightly quicker. hope this helps! i was using PISA before and the pumping output remained more or less the same.

Hello!

I know how hard is to keep up with baby! But good for you that you have come this far and that you want to keep bf'ing!

It really helped me when I started pumping every night after baby was asleep. Usually, I put baby down, then took a hot shower, and then pumped for at least 30 min even if I didn't get much. I noticed my supply was a bit higher the next day when I pumped. I did pump more often than you are, but this may help you.

Also, I ate oatmeal (still do!) every morning. And, lactation cookies made wonders whenever I needed a supply boost. You can find recipes everywhere online. I baked my own on Sundays and then ate them thru the week (when my hubby let me ha!).

Good luck!