Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PTT, ULT, tongue thrusting and shallow latch

Default PTT, ULT, tongue thrusting and shallow latch

My LO is 8 weeks old, today I had finally had his 25% PTT divided. I didn't expect a miracle but the latch is still really shallow and extremely painful. The pain is getting pretty unbearable actually and I totally feel like quitting to preserve my sanity but my heart won't let my LO have formula! When I insert my finger in LO's mouth he pushes it out with his tongue, quite forcefully. If I try and get my finger onto the soft palate, he gags, splutters and coughs.

He is obviously pushing my nipple onto the hard palate so no matter how good the latch is he pushes it out. I have worked with a LC on the latch and whoever I see says it is good...What can I do...any suggestions would be wonderful, I don't want to give up!

Default Re: PTT, ULT, tongue thrusting and shallow latch

So it did turn out that he had a PTT after all. I looked back at your other post, and you had said that you thought he might have an ULT. Did you get that confirmed at all? As for the continued difficulties, a lot of babies still have difficulty in the initial period after a release. They pretty much need to learn to figure out how to suck all over again with a looser tongue! Some people swear by chiropractic or craniosacral therapy after a tongue tie release, though there isn't much scientific evidence to back it up. The other thing that you can do is suck training - basically, let your little one suck on the end of your finger, soft side up, just as practice. My baby had a really tight latch even after her ties were released. I found that lightly massaging her jaws with coconut oil, as well as running my finger along all sides of her gums (forces the tongue to follow and therefore get a greater range of motion) really helped. Hang in there mama, you've done a great job getting this far. Hopefully with a little more practice, things will be on the upswing for you soon!

eta: I just reread your post about how he gags on your finger. I would just start by putting as much of your finger in his mouth as he can tolerate.
    Also, no matter how good the latch looks to the LC, if it's still painful, something isn't right! Any chance you could see a different one?

Thanks for your response. I've just had to give in and give him a bottle whilst I express, just can't take the pain anymore, now sat here in tears feeling like a failure!. Also got a blocked duct so even more pain! He definitely also has 100% ULT but don't know if they do anything for them in the UK? I am going to try see another IBCLC but can't get an appointment until Friday. I will also book in for craniosacral therapy and try the finger exercises you suggested. I still have very painful nipples which come out lipstick shaped and I can feel them rubbing on the hard palate when I am feeding.

Should I keep my finger in as much as he can tolerate it or try gradually putting it in a bit deeper?

I think that you'll have to play around with how far to put your finger in. If you can put it in deeper, I'd say go for it!

I did a google search and found a couple links to mothers in the uk who have had their babies' ULTs divided surgically:

http://grahamismith.com/
    http://www.lazyseamstress.net/2011/0...f-pumping.html

And here's a link to a dentist who uses laser to do it, which is best. I'm not sure if it's near where you are, but you might want to look into dentists who use laser in your area.
    http://www.coteroyddentalpractice.co.uk/

In the meantime, have a look at the 'exaggerated attachment technique' shown on this blog http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html
    Both my SIL and I had a lot of success latching this way.

Interesting links...thanks, will look into it some more!