Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pinkish liquid substance along with poop in cloth diaper

Default Pinkish liquid substance along with poop in cloth diaper

hallo!!
    i found (two times)in a row wet and pooped diaper that is colored pink from urine i suppose(?).Is this some kind of sensitivity to a certain food?i ate a big icecream last night...or something else?
    thank you for your responce in advance

Default Re: Pinkish liquid substance along with poop in cloth diaper

Hi Doria,
    how old is your baby? How often does she/he wet a diaper? How often does he nurse? Is he exculsivly bf?

She is 3 months and 20 days old.I find approximately 8(sometimes more) wet diapers every 24 hours.She is exclusively bf, and she nurses frequently 10 times i think, each feeding takes from 10 minutes to 3 minutes long it depends , early in the morning and late at night it takes longer to feed and in between she nurses briefly

Can you describe the pink stuff more thoroughly?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

it is as if the urine are coloured from beetroot but not so dark ...it is around the poop area mostly..i wish i could take a pic and post it, i dont know if it is allowed, but my husband put a laudry and the evidence are destroyed
    Despite that the baby looks and acts normal..
    i dont know , now i think maybe something in th poop disolved with the urine and colored the diaper...?strange really

So the pink stuff looks like urine tinted with beetroot? Not currant jelly or blobs of blood?

If it's just pink-colored pee, then the issue could be either urate crystals or discoloration from bacteria. Urate crystals show up in newborn babies who aren't yet drinking a lot of milk, or in older babies who have become dehydrated. Since your baby is nursing frequently and on demand and is pooping, I don't think dehydration is likely. IIRC, you can also get urate crystals when a baby has a urinary tract infection, so if you keep seeing this is might be a good idea to see the pediatrician.

There's a bacteria called Serratia marcescans that can cause pink discoloration in spit-up, diapers, and even breastmilk. It's the same bacteria that causes pink discoloration around shower drains and toilets. This would be a very unlikely cause, though- I think the pink coloration only shows up if the diaper has been sitting for a long time.

If you're seeing small streaks or flecks of blood, that's usually not a problem. Most likely cause is milk oversupply, and a less likely but still common cause is allergy/intolerance to something in your diet, often cow's milk. The fact that this showed up right after you ate ice cream makes the latter possibility a little more likely.

If you're seeing large, red, jellylike blobs of blood (currant jelly stool), that's a sign to get to the doctor ASAP, because it can indicate a life-threatening problem with the baby's bowels.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you very much, once again for your quick and detailed reply.

I really hope you see this!!! Same thing is happening to me! Did you figure it out??? For me it's a light pink liquid around her stool in bumgenius cloth diaper. It never happens in wet only diapers so I know it isn't in the urine. It also soaks through to insert and I see lots of pink. I showed pediatrician and she said she's never seen that before and since it was a day after 4 month vaccinations that I first noticed it she thought it was from popping out red dye from Tylenol I gave her, although this didn't happen after 2 doses of the same Tylenol at 2 month shots. Well it's been happening more, almost
    Every BM now so I know it's not that. I did switch detergent to ECO's which is approved for cloth and have been bleaching more
    Frequently. I was wondering if it's some Chemical reaction between chemical residue in diaper and something in her stool. I wondered if it were blood, but just doesn't look like that and what's weird is no matter how hard I look I don't see the pink in her stool in disposable diapers unless it absorbs different. I'm trying an experiment where instead of regular insert I'm stacking paper towel in lining to see if I can see pink. Do you bleach your diapers?