Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for support :(

Default Re: Looking for support :(

Yeah, if the people you're talking to aren't supportive of what you're doing, don't talk to them about it. Come here! We'll support you.

DD3 has taken maybe 5oz total from a bottle. She's now 14.5 months old. If I go out she'd take just enough from the bottle to hold her over. Now that she's on a sippy for milk, there's no worries. If I could be there, why on earth would I give a bottle? The breast is faster, a better delivery method and is less work!

I find it funny when people say "they're manipulating you". Really? Manipulation? At this young age? The truth is they only refer to these higher, emotional abilities when babies do something inconvenient for adults. There are no accusations of empathy for example. Obviously that's too complicated for a baby.

Young of animals prefer to be with their mothers. Mom means food. Mom means safety. Mom means warmth. Mom means reassurance. Mom means love. Mom means survival. Why wouldn't they want to be with their mothers?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

You're doing a great job, mama. I think people want to fix our problems sometimes, not just listen and give sympathy. It's amazing how powerful formula advertising is. Even my mom, who breastfed all 4 of us but "supplemented" with formula, has given me the occasional "why don't you try some formula?" line. Overall she is pro-BF (gave me the Sheila Kitzinger BF book when I was pregnant, as well as Mother Food), but even she worries that "what if I need to give her formula someday and she's never had it before??" or "maybe there's some things in the formula that aren't in BM so if you did both, you'd get all the benefits." Uh, what?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boob.traveler View Post
    maybe there's some things in the formula that aren't in BM
    Yeah, like insect parts and melamine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Several years before I had my baby I happened to have a pediatrician staying at my house. Some other friends asked him to check their baby, who hadn't seen a doctor since he was born (no insurance). I remember vividly the pediatrician telling the parents "until he's 6 months old, don't put anything into his mouth except his mother's breast". It surprised me at the time, but the sentence stuck with the parents and with me. Only when I had my own child and started talking to other mothers I realized how variable pediatricians' advice can be, and how lucky my friends and I were to get this good advice. I thought the way he put it made it very clear that the best thing for the child was not to have all that other stuff, but just to have the mother and the mother's breast.

Hi,
    Just wanted to add, dd is almost a year never even once received a bottle have tried cup feeding. Now takes a sippy and cup of water / milk with minimal assistance. Have never routinely pumped except for outdoor trips ( am too lazy for that)
    she is fine and don't think has lost out anything without a bottle( btw am a sahm ) . Was ultra clingy initially but now at a year very well adjusted goes to everyone . Just hang in there and give it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boob.traveler View Post
    You're doing a great job, mama. I think people want to fix our problems sometimes, not just listen and give sympathy. It's amazing how powerful formula advertising is. Even my mom, who breastfed all 4 of us but "supplemented" with formula, has given me the occasional "why don't you try some formula?" line. Overall she is pro-BF (gave me the Sheila Kitzinger BF book when I was pregnant, as well as Mother Food), but even she worries that "what if I need to give her formula someday and she's never had it before??" or "maybe there's some things in the formula that aren't in BM so if you did both, you'd get all the benefits." Uh, what?
    Why can't we have commercials where mamas are nursing with their breasts exposed as though it were no big deal? Or ads? Or ANYTHING like that? (Obviously I realize indiscreet BF isn't for everyone, but if people saw it all the time I feel like everyone would start to see it as normal). I feel like (could just be me though) that all I see if a neat little situation where baby is smiling with a bottle. Maybe I just live in the wrong community?

In some ways I think it is very good for my situation that my baby won't take a bottle, because we have struggled a lot. I feel like if she had taken it and found out how much less work a bottle is for her, she'd be done nursing by now. Since it's all she's ever known, I feel like she is willing to put up with a lot more difficulty (oversupply issues) in order to eat.

And thank you all for the support! You ladies are awesome.
    and Mama to two little girls