Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with latch

Default Re: Help with latch

You can slather on as much lanolin as you like, but that's not going to fix the cracks if there's an underlying latch issue. Pease get to an IBCLC ASAP for help with positioning and talk to your doc about the tongue tie. If it is the cause of the cracks, snipping it may cause immediate improvement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I completely hear you. I will say cracks are better. We did the laid back position last night and although horribly awkward for me, I think it helped a bit.
    Baby is now jaundiced and wearing a bili-blanket making nursing that much more awkward. Hopefully that will clear up in another day or so and we can just be home.

If it does not, rest assured I WILL be calling for help from someone in person. I want to nurse and not have to pump if possible as I'm aware of nipple confusion/latch confusion issues.

I'll also see doctor again tomorrow and will ask her again about the tongue tie. She felt like it wasn't an issue at all, but I don't think she HEARD me about the nursing. She will tomorrow because I'll make her listen.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

this pediatric dentist treats, writes and lectures about tongue tie and breastfeeding. Maybe you can find an article here for your doctor. Some doctors have truly never heard of tongue tie afffecting breastfeeding-or even have been taught in definitively that it does not! http://kiddsteeth.com/

Laid back feels weird at first for many moms. If it seems to be helping, keep trying and remember you can adjust the amount you are reclining and baby's position any way you like to suit YOU.

If you have to pump and give bottles, it's ok. Truly, It's not the end of the world OR the end of breastfeeding. But far better to get the help you need quickly so you can avoid that intervention or make it as short term as possible.

Hang in there you are doing great!

Semi-dumb question now - about how much does it hurt in the first few weeks even when you've already nursed a baby or two? And does that pain vary per person?

Also, I don't see how he can get much more of my nipple in his mouth. LOL. I'm watching closely. Sometimes, he does better than other times so I can see a distinct difference, but I'm still getting the lipstick shape - that's a wrong latch, right?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Semi-dumb question now - about how much does it hurt in the first few weeks even when you've already nursed a baby or two? And does that pain vary per person?
    Theoretically latch should not hurt ever, first baby or 21st. In practice of course it may hurt pretty bad at first with any baby and then correct 'on it's own" as mom and baby figure things out. But excruciating pain/injury that is not improving on its own-ya want to get help if that is at all possible.

Personally, I had terrible latch pain/injury with my oldest, (also he had a hard time latching at all) smooth sailing with number two, and super yowie latch again with number 3-but in that case, way worse on one side. I saw an IBCLC for help with both number one and 3.

As far as getting more nipple in-it may be more the angle of the latch that is the problem. I have seen moms whose baby was clearly 'nipple nursing" who felt fine, and mothers where baby had the entire nipple and areola in there-plus-and mom was gritting her teeth. This is why how latch "looks" only tells a small part of the story. Pain means something is wrong.

Pain when baby nurses + Lipstick shaped nipple post nursing indicates shallow latch and/or tongue tie I think. (Or the tongue tie is possibly creating the shallow latch???) Mommal is more up on the nipple shape 'tell' than I am.