Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped nursing, How long will the pain last?

Default Stopped nursing, How long will the pain last?

My son decided 4 days ago he was done nursing. He just had his 1st birthday and I was planning to wean him very soon. Very happy he made the first move He would bite my nipple then stop and look up at me waiting for my reaction. I believe he would do this because he started table food a few weeks ago and loves his food. If I tried again later he just refused. I tried pumping but wasn't getting enough to spend the time or energy doing it. So I just let my breasts go. Anyway they have been sore for 3 days. I'm just wondering how long the discomfort will last? Also aside from cabbage leaves what else can I do to relieve the pain? They are very tender to touch. I have to watch out when my 4 year old runs up to hug me

Default Re: Stopped nursing, How long will the pain last?

Sage and peppermint are supply-reducers. You might want to try sage or peppermint teas or cooking with those herbs. Also just be careful that the tenderness is not a precursor to mastitis. It sounds like you stopped fairly abruptly which can be a setup for that. If you feel like you are heading in that direction (starting to feel chills, body aches etc, or if you notice your breasts getting any red patches on them), or if the tenderness is getting worse rather than better, you might want to hand-express or pump to try to drain the breast and relieve any blockages.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you for your feedback. I picked up some peppermint tea today. I didn't see any sage tea. Should it also be with the other teas or is that a home remedy? How long does it usually take for the milk to dry out and for my breasts to feel comfortable and normal again?

totally depends. some people still make milk for years afterward - but they aren't usually sore & painful. just keep an eye out for fever, redness & soreness that might indicate infection, as PP said - that might be the start of mastitis which you don't want to mess around with.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

There's no predicting how long you'll continue to have some milk. But the sore and painful stage should be relatively brief. Helpfully not more than a week or two. Definitely be on the lookout for the symptoms of mastitis- if you see those you're going to want to pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can make the sage tea yourself, just steep in boiling water.

sage leaves are often sold as green (fresh) leaves in the greens/ veggies section. Or try a pharmacy / drug store. Sage tea is often used for sore throats, coughs etc.
    Also I found by accident once that organic sage sore throat lozenges nearly dried me up within a very short period but it returned in full once I stopped them. I think for it to work though they need to be organic meaning made with real sage, not sage flavour.