Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think we are almost done

Default I think we are almost done

DD is 15 months and just not interested anymore. I had been trying to hold on go our 3 feedings a day but she's made it clear she would rather sit with big brother and have a cup before bed than nurse and most times she prefers her paci for a nap. So that leaves our morning feeding and that's it unless she isn't the first one up then sometimes she gets distracted I was really hoping we might make it to 18 months but it just doesn't look that way. I've never particularly enjoyed BFing but I wasn't looking for it to end yet either. Anyway I thought I'd share here since you ladies have always been willing to listen and be supportive (very few people in my life understand why I'm upset by weaning right now) so thanks again for listening!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Default Re: I think we are almost done

Weaning is emotional whether you're completely ready for it to happen or not. It's a huge transition in your life and in your baby's life, even when one or both members of the nursing pair are ready for it to take place.

You have done a wonderful job making it to 15 months! If you want to go longer, just keep offering. It doesn't hurt to offer, and you never know- your toddler may decide that she's interested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, weaning is hard. I'm always a bit of a mess when I'm going through it, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Don't forget that it's a hormonal shift too. That's wonderful that you nursed your baby for 15 months!

Weaning is always hard. If you don't want to yet, then don't. Keep offering. Maybe take the pacifier out of sight at nap/bed times and offer the breast instead. More teeth will be on their way soon enough and give her an additional reason to ask again.

We weaned earlier due to subsequent pregnancies. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to having nursing available to us this time around with DD3. There will be no more pregnancies so our weaning will be up to us and not impacted by any other reasons. Teething will be much easier this time around while being able to offer the breast.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks ladies! I think I will keep offering, it's just hard getting rejected. DH always makes a point about how she's over a year so she's done roll.

Amysmom- I wish teeth would bring her back! She's actually less interested when she's teething, which she's working on her k-9s now so well just have 2 year molars left maybe she'll come back in between!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14