Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Amount to pump for a 4 month old

Default Amount to pump for a 4 month old

I wasn't sure if this, the Working or the 3-12 Month forum was the best. Please move it if necessary

I am returning to work part-time when my son will be about 4 months (he's currently 2 months). I'm EFB and plan to pump so he can continue to have breastmilk on work days. But I have no idea how much milk I should send with him when I drop him off at childcare. He nurses frequently (every 1-2 hours or so during the day, every 4 at night) and I don't know how much milk he takes every feed. He's not dehydrated and he's gaining weight well--a little too well, I think

I realize each baby is different, but does anyone have experience with how much their babies drink during a work day, so I have a rough idea of how many bottles I have to have prepared?

Thank you.

Default Re: Amount to pump for a 4 month old

Babies need 1-1.5 ounces per hour they are away from mom. Depending on how experienced your caregivers are with feeding breastfed babies it is very easy to overfeed them with a bottle. Breastfed babies are used to being able to control the flow of milk to some degree and with a bottle they can't, so they will often drink until the bottle is gone, whether they are hungry for it all or not. Most moms find it best to send 2-3 ounce bottles with a few 1-2 ounce top-off bottles just in case they are needed. Breastfed babies only rarely take more than 4 ounces at a time and the amount doesn't increase as they get older because your breastmilk changes in composition and gets more concentrated.

Here are some good resources to give you an idea of how much you'll need and an article about how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby you might want to share with your caregiver.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Amount to pump for a 4 month old

Thank you! This helps a lot
    Mom again at 40...who'd have thought it?
    Big brother born in 2004, little brother born in 2013