Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal feeding

Red face Cereal feeding

So my pediatrician reccommended we give our LO cereal once she has good head control. He said that's usually around 5 months. She will be 5 months next week. So, first, do we start with rice cereal? Does this cereal feeding replace a breastfeeding, go between? If it doesn't replace a BFing, do you offer the breast first and then give cereal, or the other way around?

Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: Cereal feeding

Good head control is not the only sign of readiness you're looking for, when it comes to solids. This link tells you the other signs to look for: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/ It's rare for a baby to have all the signs of readiness prior to 6 months, which is part of the reason why most sources recommend starting solids at 6 months, not before.

When you do start solids, you do not need to start with cereal. Cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals, but aside from that they have no significant nutritional value. They're just pure starch, without added far, fiber, or protein. You can feel free to start with fruits, veggies, or meats.

Solids should not replace breastmilk in a baby's diet until after the first birthday. Breastmilk (or formula) alone meets all a baby's needs until around that point, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So you're looking at small quantities of solids at first, maybe a teaspoon or two per day to start.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

And yes, nurse before you give solids or you are asking for your supply to dwindle. We started with mashed avocado because it has good fats in it and also is not constipating. Most of the cereals will have iron in them which is very constipating. We didn't do cereals but fruits and veggies and eventually shredded chicken and stuff like that. But really don't expect your baby to eat many solids for several months.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I would add that a lot of mamas are avoiding rice cereal now because rice grown in the US has been shown to be contaminated with arsenic. If you want to try cereal, there are other single-grain cereals out there (baby oatmeal is usually easy to find) that I would choose. And I agree with PPs, current recommendations are to start at 6 months and there is no reason to start with cereal. Lots of pediatricians recommend meat as one of baby's first foods because it contains lots of iron and is nutrient-dense. We started with things like mashed avocado and banana and gradually increased the variety of flavors and textures and for most things, let baby pick up food with her hands. Most any soft vegetables, fruits, tiny bits of meat, etc are great first foods and then you can eventually introduce wheat (toast + sunbutter or avocado is a favorite of my 11 month old), eggs (easy and quick to make, babies usually love, easy to eat), dairy (who doesn't love shredded cheese), cooked whole grains (barley, quinoa), pasta, beans, etc etc. Enjoy!!!

Thanks ladies! This was very informational.

@ mommal, great website!