Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: g6pd defficiency and breastfeeding

Default g6pd defficiency and breastfeeding

hallo,
    i have a dry scalp problem and loosing hair since i had birth 3 months ago, for this reason i think i should have some supplement of vitamin c.the problem is that i have defficiency of g6pd...to be more specific i am a carrier and my exclusively breastfed daughter might be a carrier too, so i must be careful with my nutrition habbits, i read on internet that vitamin c supplement(ascorbic acid)is not good for us.ido you know something about that ...alternatively do you know any food with large amounts of vi.c to take in order to solve my problem...the loosing hair thing bothers me bacause we co-slepping and afraid of maybe occur a choking incident...is it possible?

Default Re: g6pd defficiency and breastfeeding

I think you should speak to your doctor before taking a supplement. You might want to discuss Biotin, which is often used for issues with hair and nails, since both are made of keratin.

The hair loss is probably normal. During pregnancy, your hair follicles go into a resting state during which hair isn't shed. It can be pulled out, but you don't shed. This is why pregnant women usually have really full, lustrous hair. After pregnancy, your follicles revert to the non-pregnant state, and you lose not only a normal amount of hair but also all the hair you didn't shed during pregnancy! It should end by around 5-6 months, at which point you'll see a new crop of short hair appearing at your hairline.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks a lot!!!i didn't know about that at all, it really scared the fact of loosing sooo much hair, i suppose its pretty normal, i'll ask the doctor to take biotin since it will help a bit

yeah, lots of new moms get scared because the amount that sheds postpartum is so dramatic!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Besides huge handfuls in the shower-shedding all over baby-have to brush my hair outside type hair loss, I also have bad dry scalp in the post partum months, to the point of itching scabbing, flaking, etc. I don’t usually have dandruff or anything like that, so I had forgotten about this until it happened again a few months after my now 8 month old was born. The itching and flaking drove me nuts so I used a medicated shampoo which fixed it right up, as it had the last time this happened with my now 6 year old.

I have no idea if this is about a vitamin deficiency, I suspect it is more about normal hormone changes, in my case anyway.

i thought it was a vitamin defficiency now ithink too its about hormones related to recent pregnancy and birth...i will try things and and see the results!!the only thing that bothers me most is thatbabygirl is covered with my fallen hair most of the time...around her neck, in her mouth sometimes

I know the hair really gets everywhere. I had fairly short hair after my older kids, but long hair now. When it was shorter, I put on a hair band sometimes to pull it back from my face so less fell on baby. Now I wear it in a ponytail 24/7, which helps not only with the falling out hair but also because my baby grabs my hair and can hang on there with an iron grip, even in the hospital she did this! Plus it is safer when bedsharing (for long hair to be tied.)

Since I started having babies six years ago my hair is ALWAYS in a ponytail too! (And braids at night.)

So simple but i didnt thought about it at all!!!last night i braid my hair and no hair fell until morning!!