Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just a story, or maybe a rant

Default Just a story, or maybe a rant

So...on our first night of vacation in Oakland, dd bit me. It was the first time she has done this since her two little teeth came in, and she hasn't done it since. I didn't react...one way or another, but not because I meant to not react. I didn't really know what was happening . I had been very tender (due to the return of af, I found out later) for almost a week prior to our adventure, and she bit down just as she was latching on...I thought at first it was the initial latch tenderness. How wrong I was. She bit me...she drew blood, in 2 little places. At first, it just looked like a little spot (DJ's Mom and I inspected it rather closely ) and so maybe it was further sucking that made it bigger, but now it is about 1/4 inch long and hurts like the dickens (as my great granny used to say). I thought it was getting better, but today I had to pump...and I thought nursing was painful. OUCH !!! That pump is the devil, I say, the devil! The injury is right on the bottom of my nipple...and it is swollen today, after 2 pump sessions. Why me, I ask myself? Why me? The blasted thing hurts! I think I noticed today that it is a little *****...not sure if I should be concerned or not. It doesn't seem overly red or anything, but I can not believe how much it hurts! I have been using lanolin and putting bm (no you sicko, breastmilk not bowel movement) on it after every nurse session...and letting it air dry as much as possible. Oh I love that little girl , but sometimes...she makes me and . And as I type, my nipple is throbbing.

Now, some might say that this is precisely the reason I should wean. Actually, everyone here that I have told (except my mom and dh, who know better) has said that it is time to wean. They say that was when they decided to wean, or now that she has teeth its just gross (so if she had gotten teeth at 6 weeks, it would have been gross then ), and I say...yup, that's what separates me from you, or the men from the boys, as my Daddy would say. In that case...I guess I am a breastfeeding man, now!

But seriously, do any of you have thoughts on this injury and my treatment...and the puss?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Just a story, or maybe a rant

ouch!
    my lll leader sears by that newman's nipple cream that you have made at a compounding pharmacy.
    hope its fealing beter soon!

Oh Erin...I know what you are going through!! My nipple got infected the first time my ds bite me. This information helped me a lot:

Healing Tips for Nipple Cracks or Abrasions

This is what it states:

If there is a specific injury--like a bite--cold compresses (ice packs over a layer of cloth) may help: 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off; repeat as needed.

I put ice packs on my infected nipple, as stated above, and it started to feel better w/in 2 days.

I hope that you feel better soon!
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

This is my worst nightmare! I know I said I would exclusively pump once ds got teeth but here we are and he has four teeth now and he bites me about once a day but never enough to bleed (Frantically "knocking on wood" here ). It's just such a sensative area! It's always at the beginning or when he starts to fall asleep and I try to take him off before he drifts off but he never falls asleep deeply enough not to notice that I popped him off the boobie.

Can you use neosporin for the pussiness?

I'm sorry I have no advice for you, I just hope it gets better for you soon!

Reesa

Erin, sorry you are having this trouble. I have no advice to give, just sending you a hug

Your post was entertaining while you ranted, I do have to say! At least you're trying to have a sense of humor though your frustration. Hope the above post's suggestions and possibly others are of help to you.

Have a good Thanksgiving and I hope your nipple feels better

Since she broke the skin, that could be why your "injury" hurts so bad and is swollen ...not to mention a little *****. I've heard the human mouth is worse than a dog's mouth when it comes to bacteria...even though your LO is a baby, it's probably a little infected due to that in itself.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that you probably need to put some sort of antibacterial stuff on it in addition to breastmilk. However, I don't know which ones are safe to use and for baby to accidentally ingest considering where the bite is, so it may warrant a call to your ped. to determine which one's the safest to use there.

So if its not getting better...or has been more than a day or two...which is how it sounds...I would definitely make the call...you definitely don't want to harbor an infection there of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I think I noticed today that it is a little *****...not sure if I should be concerned or not.
    I assume that you meant to write puss-y, as in puss coming out of the nipple? LOL, I'm sorry....I am at my parents house and the computer is in the living room and I was reading this and just busted out laughing. Then everyone wanted to know what I was laughing at. My brother, father, DH and mother are all laughing hysterically.

Sorry that you got bit. I've been bit several times in the last 3 months, thankfully not bad enough yet to get infected. Good luck Erin.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Leslie...so happy to hear you all got a laugh at my expense ! I noticed that I had wrote that too...and others have pointed it out. I guess I will just leave it in there for laughter's sake!

And for everyone's info, its all better now! I didn't really do anything different, except add a few saltwater rinses to my routine. And the wound is healing much better...still a little discomfort, but no more pain!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

Oh, yeah, and I just read it and laughted out loud! It reads really funny out loud!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Oh, yeah, and I just read it and laughted out loud! It reads really funny out loud!
    I was reading it out loud but under my breath, which is why I stopped when I got to that part and then started to laugh as i re-read it. I'm glad things are healing and feeling better...I know that it doesn't feel so good. I checked today and Shiloh is getting his 5th and 6th teeth, and he rubs his face in my breast when he's tired and hangs on with those puppies and its killer.

take care.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!