Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped bf'ing - I'm in pain

Default Stopped bf'ing - I'm in pain

Hello,
    I stopped bf'ing my daughter two days ago because I needed to. We had gone down to one session a day, in the evening, and then one or two, sometimes three, during the night when she would wake up. But I needed to hurry up the process, so I took a medicine prescribed by my gynecologist to stop milk production. But how does this work? I am done with the treatment - and stopped breasfeeding also, but my breasts are swollen and aching. I was pumping some 20 mins on each breast yesterday to ease me a bit, but this morning the pain was so unbearable that I gave my baby the breast for a very little while. I need to quit totally, but this is very painful. What can I do? Should I be worried?

Default Re: Stopped bf'ing - I'm in pain

I think that you should assume that the medication didn't work, and that weaning is happening too fast for your body. In order to avoid painful engorgement and the possibility of plugged ducts, you may need to express some milk. As long as you take out just enough to restore comfort, and you don't empty the breast, your supply should still decrease.

I don't think you should worry unless you start seeing symptoms of mastitis: fever, chills, deep breast pain, aches and pains. If you start getting those, it's time to start trying to empty the breast and also to see the doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Stopped bf'ing - I'm in pain

Thanks for your quick reply, mommal.