Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: voume to expect and supply question

Default voume to expect and supply question

I haven't had any response to this post on the 12 mo+ area and just realized I might be more likely to get information from this pumping forum which I just realized is here, so most of the following is copy and paste from the other post! :

I have an injury on one breast causing me to pump on one side for a while, have been doing it for 9 days now. I have a question about the volume I'm pumping. I'm getting about 6 ounces per day from the one breast and baby is nursing the other one as always. In the morning after going all night without nursing or pumping, I get around 2 oz. or a little more, then pump maybe 4 more times during the day getting around an ounce each time, sometimes more, but I'm not getting much more than around 6 ounces out of it each day. My baby is a very heavy nurser and a very light eater of solids, so surely she has been getting more than this. This is just one side I'm pumping though, but even if you doubled that it's not much for a baby for a whole day. My baby nurses very frequently and for very long periods sometimes, especially at night. Now I wonder if that may be because she's not getting much out, so she just keeps at it - sort of like I'm doing when I pump and am not getting much out.

I had not pumped for almost a year before this happened and even back when I was pumping just to store away some milk I never pumped exclusively for a whole day so didn't know what to expect in volume for a 24 hr. period. Now that I see what I'm getting I'm really surprised at how little it is. And I pump for probably around 10-15 minutes to get 1 ounce. I know that a baby is much better at getting it out, and of course volume would vary among people but I'd still be interested to know from anyone who has pumped a breast exclusively at this stage - how much others get out. I'd like to know if mine is lower than what others get. AND...my baby is 19 months old.

I also am worried about my supply because even though I'm pumping I assume I'm getting out less than my baby would, and she nurses at least half the night usually, and I'm not getting up to pump at night so this breast is going for a long period at night with no nursing or pumping. I am going to try to go for a few more days to give my wound time to heal before risking injuring it again (a big deep gash from teeth), but am worried with every day that goes by I may be causing a loss in supply. I might be able to nurse at this point but really want to be on the safe side about not re-opening this wound because then I'd be right back where I started and would have to stop nursing again. Does anyone know how much supply is affected on just one side by something like this? Would you lose supply on just the one side or on both as a result - or is it that the nursing on the good side would keep the supply up for both sides? I said that my baby nurses half the night usually, but actually since I stopped nursing one side, she is nursing that other poor side almost constantly at night and I think it must be because she is missing the volume she normally gets. I can't get her to drink any of the pumped milk from a bottle or sippy cut though.
    So any input would be appreciated - - my main questions are, is 6 oz. pumped per day normal or low? And, how could all this affect my supply, because the thought of losing supply is tempting me to try to nurse that injured side earlier than I probably would if I thought my supply was ok.
    Last edited by @llli*mydreamscametrue; April 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Default Re: voume to expect and supply question

After a year, all bets are off when it comes to milk volume. A baby who is a frequent nurser might keep mom's supply on the very high side, more like what is generated for a new baby. A baby who is a very light nurser might get just an oz or two of milk per day.

If you want to make more milk on the bitten side, pump it more often. More demand = more supply. You're currently pumping just 5 times per day, and that's maybe a bit low for someone who is EP, albeit just on one side.

If your supply dwindles, don't worry too much. Once your baby is nursing on that side, she should be able to make up for any supply dip by nursing more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much, you're saying that the supply should pick back up when she starts nursing so that is great news, I didn't know that, I thought once you lost it at this point it might be gone for good. Thank you!

Yeah, the neat thing about milk supply is that you can't lose it for good, provided you're not pregnant. Stimulation to the breast makes your pituitary pump out Prolactin, and Prolactin creates milk. More stimulation = more Prolactin = more milk. This is why you could hypothetically continue to make milk for your entire lifespan.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"