Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast Infection - what is safe to take?

Default Yeast Infection - what is safe to take?

Two weeks ago I was on an antibiotic for a UTI, I've been fighting a vaginal yeast infection for about a week now . . . . does anyone know what I can take that is safe while nursing? I've researched on line - but there is so much conflicting information.
    I have been taking probiotics, and nothing has spread to LO or anywhere else. Thought I was over it but sadly . . . I am definitely not. I'm not prone to these and it took me a number of days to figure out what was going on.

Any thoughts, advice would be SO appreciated. Thank you so much!
    Life is Beautiful.

Default Re: Yeast Infection - what is safe to take?

I can't comment on a medication, but in addition to super dosing probiotics I strongly recommend temporary elimination of all refined sugar, flour, wheat, gluten, grains for faster recovery. Limit fruit, but eat veggies, eggs, meat (assuming you're not a vegetarian), avocado, good raw nuts if you need a snack - I like to sauté raw sunflower and pumpkins seeds in a pan with olive or coconut oil and a touch of salt.

You have to scroll down about to get to the nutrition guidelines but I'm a big fan of the marks daily apple newsletter http://www.marksdailyapple.com/candida/#axzz2RFCMoqfi
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

It's safe to take the Canesten oral pill -it's fluconazole, which is commonly prescribed to treat breast yeast infections, so it's safe to nurse while taking it. I'm not sure about the monestat one though - if you have questions, you can always check out www.infantrisk.com

Thank you both for your replies. Going to try eliminating refined sugars first, see how that helps then if need be - ask my doctor about a Canesten oral pill.

Both websites are awesome - I've bookmarked them for future reference.
    Life is Beautiful.

I believe Monistat or OTC stuff is safe. It's considered generally safe during PG and I have taken it during PG while nursing, too. It gets absorbed vaginally so I don't think it reaches your breastmilk anyway.

Oh, and cotton underwear and change when you're damp (I have to after I get sweaty from a walk even). Go to the bathroom before and after intercourse.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I just had to take a course of antibiotics for an ear infection and ended up with a yeast infection too. I took fluconazole also (it also goes by the name Diflucan in the U.S.) - it's just one pill. I've also been treated with fluconazole in the past when baby and I had thrush.

im on an antibiotic right now, i am taking it twice a day and taking a good probiotic in the middle of the day. hopefully this wards off the yeast infection i am trying to avoid. just wanted to give you that option for the future. sorry if its already been mentioned.

and i LOVE infant risk, my dr prescribed the antibiotic and i walked out of the office and called them to check if it was ok. they rock.

Hi again! Went with a generic version of monistat . . . hopefully (fingers crossed) it will help. I started taking probiotics AFTER the antibiotics - which was probably too late. Not having experienced anything quite like this before I wasn't sure what was going on. Thought I was having an allergic reaction to toilet paper or something! I've never had a problem with this while taking antibiotics before but this time sure hit me.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I love how having children and breastfeeding brings everyone here together. It's a great community and such a fantastic resource!!!

(((hugs)))
    Life is Beautiful.

hope the monistat works. just wanted you to know it seems like taking a probitoic with the antibiotic is good. its got to be a good probiotic and youve got to take it at the right times. just for future reference.

For sure if I have to take an antibiotic ever again I'll be taking a probiotic along with it. It seems like it's going to be a bit before things are back to normal. Skin is very very raw and so compromised it bled. Honestly if I didn't know better I'd think it was an allergic reaction. I wonder if hormonally things have changed since having baby . . . I've never had a course of antibiotics cause anything like this before. I've read on line that an apple cider vinegar rinse (not douche) is helpful to kill yeast . . . but vinegar in ANY dilution on tender skin isn't pleasant . . . so I don't know about that one - yoghurt is helpful and I even read a bit on garlic...

Nurse at my doctor's office mentioned Diflucan but the doctor suggested Monistat or Canesten. Not sure why as it seems a one dose pill would be much easier and way less messy than the other treatments.
    Life is Beautiful.