Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: They can't take breastfeeding away from me

Default They can't take breastfeeding away from me

Hi I have said variations on this topic before. But this is now coming down the pike I can see the end coming the end of breastfeeding for me and maybe my only child. I hope it wasn't a mistake I made. I was hoping to breastfeed past 3 years (she's a little over 2.5 right now). Lately she is losing her nap and sometimes rejecting my usually nap time feeding. I have actually contemplated giving her less food LOL (I know maybe extreme but......). So now I breastfeed in the morning before we get up, and at night. But I have been trying to make sure I still breastfeed her during the day like today I made sure even though she didn't map that she breastfed after coaxing her and I kept trying till she gave in I just grabbed her and put her on. Then it was the BEST. This end will be hard for me. You never see the end coming when they are young its so far off you jus live in the moment. But now she is growing independent. But I don't want to let go. I don't want her to grow up. I want her babyness extended longer and that is helped with breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding has become my sanctuary and it didn't start off like that it was a battle between me and breastfeeding, but I made it through. It took a long time for her and I to get the latch right almost 2 months of soreness, pain, breakdowns, crying, and torturing my husband. But I never gave up even when people told me to. I also live with my mother who is so dominating she tries to control everything including me and my toddler, she's always telling me what to do. So breastfeeding is the only thing that is MINE. No one can take it away from me. Its my show. Its my cherished time with my daughter to bond. I can take her someplace quiet and have her undivided attention. No prying judgmental eyes. No fighting for her attention. Plus it relaxes me

Now that it might be leaving I'm sad. People say "well the next phase will be good too" Well true but not exactly the same as breastfeeding your baby, holding them, touching them, laughing with them, its magic. Life moves so fast the time together is so fleeting there is so much on the schedule bonding is pushed to the backburner. That is why I like breastfeeding its guaranteed "quality time".

How have others on here let go and how do you make sure your still bonding with your child? How did you feel emotionally?
    Last edited by @llli*skarrlette; August 5th, 2014 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: They can't take breastfeeding away from me

Hi skarrlette. Here is how I have bonded with my children after breastfeeding was over. My kids range in age from 2 to 11, and I very much understand the sadness that can come when weaning happens.
    Loving Touch AND speech. Hugs, cuddles, kisses, and lots of "I love yous" loving specific praise, (I am proud of how you ...., I like such and such about you, whatever)
    Games that require touch and speech, such as nursery rhymes with "finger play" - Round and round the garden, this little piggy, johnnie johnnie- there are probably dozens, If you were not taught these as a child, or do not remember, you might find a preschool teacher who knows some or look online.
    Playing their games with them, whatever they are, even when the games are so repetitive you feel you will go mad
    reading books (ditto)
    really listening too and seeing my kids, I have found find paths to this are imaginary play with young kids and discussions about things with older kids, it is so fun to see how your child's developing mind works.
    Bedtimes- as much as possible, I make bedtime a ritual with songs, prayers, special words or phrases I say every night to my kids, that kind of thing.
    Bedshare/open bed policy- Our older boys have slept in their own room for years, but often In the mornings, they jump into bed with my husband, two year old, and I and while it can get a bit wild and goofy it is a special time.

Thanks?...I actually really started panicking and thinking I kind of let this happen too, problem is I don't want to give it up right now. I think my milk has dwindled and want to try and breastfeed a little longer.
    Last edited by @llli*skarrlette; August 8th, 2014 at 05:16 PM.

personally I started taking herbal galactagogues because I felt I could not keep up with my toddlers nursing.

There is a difference between giving up and naturally moving into a new phase of parenting. If you think your child would still want to nurse or nurse more often if you made more of an effort in some area, (offering more, increasing your production, making more of an effort to nurse without distractions-whatever) there is certainly nothing wrong with gently encouraging a child to nurse or to nurse more often. In my experience, if a child will nurse again or more readily if offered and/or given the opportunity, then weaning has not happened. If, after a period of gradual weaning, a child is done, they will clearly let you know.