Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok to be burning through freezer stash at this point?

Default Re: ok to be burning through freezer stash at this point?

Hi again, so I'm panicking a little bit. I didn't pump a lot this week at work--I think only once + lunch nursing on Mon and Tues and then I had a HUGE deadline on Wednesday so I went to nurse at lunch on Wed but did not pump at all. And then yesterday and today (Thursday and Friday) when I pumped, also once per day both days plus noontime nursing, I only got 2 oz!! This is pretty low for me, I was pumping at least 3, usually 4 only a week ago. So I am worried. Because, while I know that the pump is not a reliable indicator of how much milk you have, this is a clear sign to me that my supply has plummeted. I still have plenty of milk in the freezer to send for bottles for my baby to daycare, but I worry a lot that she's not getting the nutrition she needs from me on evenings and weekends. She has been biting a lot lately and I attributed it to her being sassy and also teething, but maybe she's frustrated that there is not as much milk there. We were going to introduce cow's milk in a few weeks when she turns one, but I didn't want her to rely on drinking a lot of it as her source of milk--I want her to get most of her milk from me when we're together. I feel like I'm not meeting her needs now. I feel like I really screwed up by dropping some pumping sessions and now I've created a problem. I think she's hydrated--she makes wet diapers, but, to be honest, I think her diapers are less wet lately (they haven't been as heavy in the mornings, for example) and she's getting some water with meals so maybe she's hydrated but still not getting enough milk. How do I know if she's getting enough????

Hi sprocket, don't panic. Supply goes down when you pump wean - if it didn't, you would be way too full during the day. I mean, the idea is to not need to pump during the day, right? Let your LO nurse as much as she wants when you're at home, and there will be plenty there for her on nights and weekends. Remember, you're transitioning from solids being complementary to breast milk, to breast milk being complementary to solids. And I know your LO does well with solids so I don't think she's getting undernourished (not to mention she's still getting EBM during the day). For me, I did notice that my LO increased the intensity and length of our morning and nighttime nursing sessions after I pump weaned (and my supply decreased), so that she got my nighttime supply to a place where she wanted it. It regulates. And if you're worried about it, you can go back to pumping more, and your supply will pick up again. But I think if you do that, it will be more to help you psychologically make the transition, than because your baby needs you to do that.

Thanks so much for your reassuring reply. I was really starting to second guess this plan after my pump output dropped off. I have gotten pretty comfortable with trusting my body and if I were nursing on demand, I would trust my baby to regulate my supply for herself, but you throw a pump into the mix and the fact that I've been sometimes ignoring some of my body's "cues" to pump (full breasts) in order to reduce my pumping frequency and it gets counterintuitive for me very fast!!!

I was very pleased that over the weekend we nursed on demand the whole weekend and she seemed fine and satisfied. I was nervous that my supply was crashing and she was going to find there was not enough milk and be cranky about it and hungry. I think she did nurse maybe a little more often and lingered a little longer, but it was not dramatic. And what do you know, this morning (Monday) I am pumping a little more than I did on Friday! So I expect that maybe I will see this pattern of pumping less and less as the week goes on and then boosting it again over the weekend, which I had heard of before but never experienced.

I am SO relieved to be pump weaning!!! Even just getting down to one pump a day is such a huge relief. I am really looking forward to our second year of breastfeeding with no pumping!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    So I expect that maybe I will see this pattern of pumping less and less as the week goes on and then boosting it again over the weekend, which I had heard of before but never experienced.
    Exactly!

I think it is a bit of a leap to go from obsessing about every ounce to not having to do that anymore - I mean you work so hard to maintain that supply that it's weird to let go of it. But it is really nice!

Whew, tell me about it!! It's emotional for me and I think all of it might be heightened by our early experience with a rough start to breastfeeding (as many of the moms here can relate to! In my case, my baby was hospitalized unexpectedly at birth and we did not get off to a good breastfeeding start which led to several weeks of me struggling to catch up with my supply/weaning off of supplements, that whole routine--UGH!!). So in my brain I have made this strong linkage between my pump output and this tiny helpless baby who is literally not getting enough to eat. A lot has changed over the past year and I need to remember that an ounce or two less from the pump does not mean now what it did when she was 2 weeks old!! She is growing up so fast but I'm OLD I suppose I had a somewhat traumatic event and it made an imprint and it's hard to reprogram myself to think differently after that.

So yeah, obsessing over every ounce!! That's almost an understatement! It is SOOOO nice to talk to someone who knows that I'm thinking. Thank you!!

No problem!