Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok to be burning through freezer stash at this point?

Default ok to be burning through freezer stash at this point?

My DD just turned 11 mos old and is in daycare 9-5 each day. She eats 3 solid meals plus an afternoon snack each day and nurses enthusiastically when we're together. Her routine for a long time at daycare had been morning and afternoon bottles and nursing on my lunch hour. At around 9 months she started routinely skipping bottles, so I asked daycare to be very diligent about offering a bottle before solids every morning and afternoon, and since then she's been taking the two bottles each day again. Over the last few weeks I've been skipping pumping here and there, usually in the afternoon. I have not noticed any difference in my supply--I'm still able to pump just as much and my baby is still nursing fine, seems to get a lot of milk and be satisfied at the breast.

I used to be extremely careful about making sure I pumped at least what she was drinking from bottles. Now that I see the end of pumping in sight, I've thrown a little caution to the wind and have started using up my frozen milk stash to compensate for not always getting in that second pumping session.

Is this OK? I guess I have essentially started to pump wean before my baby has started to transition from bottles during the day. My sense is that my milk supply has really stabilized and is not so sensitive to missing feedings (pumpings) and that there is plenty in the freezer to get her through to her birthday.

My fears are that:

1. this is having an impact on my supply that is not apparent to me now
    2. my baby will still need my milk after she turns 1 (maybe she won't drink or won't tolerate cow's milk and maybe she won't be able to get enough when we're at home in the evenings). At which point my supply will have dropped AND I'll be running out of milk in the freezer

I LOATHE pumping and want to do as little as possible which is why I'm motivated to push this particular envelope.

Also, what will happen when she no longer gets breast milk at daycare? Do you offer cow's milk in a bottle? Sippy? So far she has gotten a sippy of water with meals and she is sometimes able to get a good drink from it but sometimes not so much. I would be reluctant at this point to rely on her to get adequate hydration from a sippy cup.

Am I doing this wrong?

Default Re: ok to be burning through freezer stash at this point?

Hi sprocket, it sounds like you are doing just fine. I don't think there is any problem in very gradually starting to pump wean (which is what you are doing, in effect) in an 11 month old baby who has great solids intake and who you are still nursing plenty.

In terms of what will happen after she turns 1: as long as you are still nursing plenty (3-5 times/24 hours) it's fine if she doesn't drink milk at daycare. If you are nervous about her getting enough milk, you can always continue the lunchtime nursing for the time being, or consider cow's milk (though reasonable to think about scenarios of her not taking cow's milk - my LO has been refusing it so far!), or make sure she gets more non-milk dairy (yogurt, cheese).

In terms of the sippy cup: he may not be drinking much from a sippy cup now, but that's because she's still getting a lot of milk, you know? The thirst drive is one of the strongest biological drives. If she's thirsty she will drink water from a sippy cup! Also, as with other skills, you may notice a pretty rapid change in her use of the cup over the next couple months. My 13 month old is drinking a lot more from the cup than she was even at 11 months.

It sounds like you are doing fine!

thanks so much for the reassurance! As her birthday approaches I find myself feeling more and more like I'm stepping off the end of a cliff! It's a place I'm thrilled to be going (I can't wait to stop pumping) and also afraid of. I have been endlessly pumping not just to provide bottles, but also to preserve my milk supply, which would have plummeted if I had not pumped 2x a day before. It seems like such a leap of faith to think that I can continue to breastfeed without pumping during the day. I will continue to breastfeed at lunch time so it's really not going to be all day--I'll only be going about 4 hours between feedings probably most days. Which is not really exceptional given her age!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hi sprocket, it sounds like you are doing just fine. I don't think there is any problem in very gradually starting to pump wean (which is what you are doing, in effect) in an 11 month old baby who has great solids intake and who you are still nursing plenty.

In terms of what will happen after she turns 1: as long as you are still nursing plenty (3-5 times/24 hours) it's fine if she doesn't drink milk at daycare. If you are nervous about her getting enough milk, you can always continue the lunchtime nursing for the time being, or consider cow's milk (though reasonable to think about scenarios of her not taking cow's milk - my LO has been refusing it so far!), or make sure she gets more non-milk dairy (yogurt, cheese).

In terms of the sippy cup: he may not be drinking much from a sippy cup now, but that's because she's still getting a lot of milk, you know? The thirst drive is one of the strongest biological drives. If she's thirsty she will drink water from a sippy cup! Also, as with other skills, you may notice a pretty rapid change in her use of the cup over the next couple months. My 13 month old is drinking a lot more from the cup than she was even at 11 months.

It sounds like you are doing fine!
    Any idea what non dairy families do in these situations? Dairy made my life hell from childhood until age 27 when I self diagnosed an extreme lactose intolerance. I quit dairy, resolved a host of issues (stomach aches, migraines, congestion) and 16 years later have never looked back. I'm not going to give cow's milk or cows milk based foods to my daughter ever. But the substitute milks on the market are such crap. Soy milk is junk, almond and many other nut milks are loaded with sugar, rice essentially IS sugar, coconut milk has guar gum in it. Starting to wonder if making at home is the only good option.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

just make sure you make up those nutrients (fat, protein, calcium) through other foods.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Any idea what non dairy families do in these situations?
    I don't have personal experience with that, but I agree with auderey, it's just a matter of making up the other nutrients. There are plenty of cultures that don't have many animal milk products in their normal diets. For a toddler though it seems like the easiest way to make up for those nutrients would just be to keep breastfeeding!

I don't have personal experience with that, but I agree with auderey, it's just a matter of making up the other nutrients. There are plenty of cultures that don't have many animal milk products in their normal diets. For a toddler though it seems like the easiest way to make up for those nutrients would just be to keep breastfeeding!
    Thanks. I don't have a fixed time to stop breastfeeding. I've always wanted to make it a year and we are well on our way there, but unless her interest takes a 180 I don't see a wean coming at 12 months. I suppose it partly depends on how well I survive the teeth! I sure would like to pump wean sometime around a year - i dream about a workday where i'm not racing around to pump - but we'll see. Her nutrition / health comes first.

Well, judging from one of your other threads, your LO nurses all.night.long so my guess is she will still be getting plenty of milk from you even if you pump wean at a year (though of course I'm hoping for your sake that she will magically start sleeping through the night!).

Well, judging from one of your other threads, your LO nurses all.night.long so my guess is she will still be getting plenty of milk from you even if you pump wean at a year (though of course I'm hoping for your sake that she will magically start sleeping through the night!).
    Yup. I think her favorite singer must be Lionel Richie!