Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping issues at work

Exclamation Pumping issues at work

Hello-

I am a middle school teacher (in Houston, Texas) and normally, I am able to pump when I need to. I keep a schedule of 11am and 2pm. For me, it is very important that I adhere to this schedule.
    I have been assigned to administer the STAAR test (a state mandated test) and teach a STAAR camp (all day and all week) where I am not on the regular bell schedule. I have notified the administration about my need to pump at these times and have expressed the importance of keeping a strict schedule. So far, they have been late each time for my break. Does anyone know what action I can take if this continues? I have read about federal laws protecting my right to pump at work, but it doesn't say anything about a "schedule". And since they ARE relieving me, I'm not sure I can do anything. The problem is that it causes physical and emotional duress to me when I'm not on schedule. (engorgement, embarrassment, etc.... think about being in a room full of teenagers and leaking.... not fun!)
    Thanks!

Christie

Default Re: Pumping issues at work

Hi Christie, welcome to the forum! I've read about the laws protecting the right to pump but I've never read/heard anything about the right to pump at a specific time. In any case going through legal channels is usually a slow process. I think your best bet may be to talk to whoever is relieving you (or setting up the relief) - maybe they just don't realize the consequences of not sticking to your schedule? I mean I think if you bring up engorgement and leaking to a male superior they will probably do whatever they can to end the conversation quickly and take care of it, and hopefully a female superior will be sympathetic.

with the PP.

Are you unionized? If you are, talking to your rep and having that person talk to the person in charge might be an avenue to explore. If not, just keep hammering at the admin! And wear patterned shirts, in case there's leaking.

Good luck, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the other posters, I think your best bet is to talk with the actual person who is relieving you. I wish I could tell you to just whip out your pump during the test and go at it and I bet they wouldn't be late again, but I know that's not really a realistic solution.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you all for your supportive answers! I did email administration and they were really quick to help solve the issue. I had people check on my multiple times during the day. I guess the "squeaky wheel" DOES get the grease LOL.

That's great! Honestly a lot of times I think people just have no idea, you know? But I'm really glad you spoke up for yourself and that things are better! Leaking in front of teenagers... definitely not a great breastfeeding moment.