Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush help

Default thrush help

Hello, my 6 week old and I have been dealing with thrush for the past 2 weeks. They prescribed nystatin which she reacted violently to so we stopped giving it after a day. Then a week later I started on diflucan and treated both LO and I with Gentian Violet for 3 days. I'm still taking diflucan and sterilizing/washing everything that comes in contact with my nipples or LO's mouth. My nipples are still pink but they feel and look better than they did a week ago. My question is how do I know when it is gone completely? My LO isn't being treated with anything now and I'm worried that will cause it to stick around. Should I start GSE or redo the Violet if I seem to still have thrush?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: thrush help

I don't know much about thrush, but I think you know it's gone when you and your baby stop having problems with it. I know that sounds very glib, but what I am trying to say is that you'll know you're better when you both feel better. Maybe take the baby to the pediatrician and have him/her take a look in baby's mouth?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal -you know when it doesn't hurt anymore! Dr. Jack Newman says that treatment should continue for one week after mom is pain-free. I had thrush that was treated with diflucan and eventually went away. It came back a couple weeks later (I think my pump parts were contaminated, even though they had been through the sanitize wash in the dishwasher - I recommend the Medela steaming bags now). I treated it right away once it started to hurt, and it went away within a week with using GSE and canestin cream. I think that once you've experienced the thrush pain, if it starts to come back, you know exactly what it is and can start up right away with treatment. I hope this helps!

ETA: if you and baby aren't on probiotics already, it might be a good time to start. I found they made a big difference!
    Last edited by @llli*carm3; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks ladies! I've been on probiotics but am looking for baby probiotics for LO. There is still white on her tongue that doesn't wipe off so I know she still has it. Carm3 where do you find GSE? My local health food store doesn't carry it

I found both capsules and liquid GSE at a store in Canada called Pure Nature. They do have a website, and I found the capsules that I used http://www.purenaturenutrition.com/s...vate_product=0 but I couldn't find the liquid on their site. But I did find it on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/NutriBiotic-Gr.../dp/B000M7OOPS
    You can use regular probiotics for the baby - just open up a capsule, wet your finger and sprinkle some of the powder on and get the baby to suck it off your finger. Or, you can get baby probiotics - these are the ones I use: http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/hmf...-genestra.html

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but in Canada, companies aren't allowed to actually label any alternative supplements as being for ages 0-1. So if you do order the above baby probiotics, it won't say the dose for that age group - just use the little scoop in the bottle.

Good luck, mama...I hope this clears up, and please keep us posted. Thrush is nasty and difficult to get rid of, and when you beat it, it could really help some other mamas to hear your story!

Thanks! I found baby probiotics and now have a plan of action using diflucan for both myself and baby. I didn't want to go that route at first but probably would have been done with thrush by now if I had. Hope to start diflucan tomorrow along with probiotics as well as avoiding sugar (anything else?) in my diet.

Thanks for your words of encouragement!!