Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight question

Default weight question

Hey ladies. Haven't been here in awhile, DS#2 came in early February - 1 day before due date - he is now about 10 1/2 weeks old. Was wanting to run this by you all, see if there are any ideas/advice. LO was born at 8lbs 12oz, 21.5 inches long, he is EBF. At his 2 month appointment, he was at exactly 15 lbs, over the 100th percentile. I know that BF babies grow quickly, especially at first, my first son was the same, only not that large at 2 months. I do not think I am overfeeding him, we nurse on demand when I am there (returned to work April 8th) and he has bottles with my MIL when I am gone. Last Monday he drank 18 ounces while I was gone from 7:30am-6pm. Any thoughts from you ladies?

Default Re: weight question

I think you can relax. Your baby is still so young! He's not likely to stay in the 100th %ile much longer- once he gets just a little older he's going to start putting his calories into things like reaching, rolling, squirming, crawling, etc., and he's going to drop down the charts a bit. That's what tends to happen with breastfed babies- they zoom up to the top of the charts, then level off.

Is your baby being measured on the new WHO charts for breastfed babies, or the old CDC charts developed using data from primarily formula-fed babies? That can make a big difference in where your child appears to be on the charts. Breastfed babies tend to gain weigh fastest in early infancy and slow down as they get into the middle of their first year. Formula-fed babies gain relatively slowly at first, and then speed up as they get older. Measure a breastfed baby on a formula chart, and the breastfed baby will appear to be gaining weight "too fast" at first and "too slow" later on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like a healthy baby to me. Baby knows what baby needs and will take exactly that from the breast as long as baby is cue fed. Since there is the possibility that a baby might be overfed with a bottle, you could share this information with your mil on how to cue feed bottles to baby. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    I am not saying overfeeding is happening in your case-you were gone over 10 hours, so baby taking 18 ounces in that time is not a problem- it is just slightly above the general rule of thumb of 1.5 ounces per hour of separation. But even if baby wants more than that when cue fed, cue feeding is healthiest, even when bottlefed.

Thank you ladies, the reassurance helps. He is very young still, he just seems so big already. He is measured on the WHO charts, I asked about that. He is starting to roll over from tummy to back, has great head control, and he is kicking and "wiggling" like crazy, so I am sure the calories will go to other things. I did remind my mil that he is to be eating no more than 3-4 ounces per bottle, depending on how long it has been between feedings, that generally satisfies him for 3 hours or so.

How's his height? Is he growing as fast in that dimension as he is in weight? Sometimes heavy babies are also fated to be tall babies- like my second kid. She gained a pound a week from birth until around 2 months. She's not quite three and is still maxing out the weight charts, and is probably off the top of the height chart.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO was born at 7 lbs 1 oz, below average (and I think she was in the 1% for weight-for-height), shot up to the 90th percentile in the early months, and at her one-year visit was down to 40% for weight. My older two also followed a similar pattern.

How are you doing keeping up with the 18 oz your baby is drinking while you're at work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    How's his height? Is he growing as fast in that dimension as he is in weight? Sometimes heavy babies are also fated to be tall babies- like my second kid. She gained a pound a week from birth until around 2 months. She's not quite three and is still maxing out the weight charts, and is probably off the top of the height chart.
    His height and head circumference is in the 75th-90th percentile, he was 24 1/2 inches at his two month appointment and head circumference was 16 - so he is pretty well rounded in the upper percentiles. OF note, my toddler is 2 1/2 and weighs 36 pounds, as much as my 5 year old nephew.....not much shorter than him either, he is over half as tall as I am already (granted I am only 5'1, but my husband is 6'3). On the positive side, he sleeps through the night (between 8:30p-9p to about 4a-6a, eats and goes back down until about 8a) and has since about 7 weeks, so unlike his big brother!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    My LO was born at 7 lbs 1 oz, below average (and I think she was in the 1% for weight-for-height), shot up to the 90th percentile in the early months, and at her one-year visit was down to 40% for weight. My older two also followed a similar pattern.

How are you doing keeping up with the 18 oz your baby is drinking while you're at work?
    Doing pretty well, but I feel like I do nothing but eat and drink while I am at work. I pump three times a day, about every 3 hours, and average 5-7 total ounces each pump. Most days I bring home 16-20 ounces for mil to use the next day. Takes quite a bit of time, but I can work and pump at the same time. He has had some formula when she runs out of milk, but that is few and far between. I froze everything with my first and just kept a regular supply in my freezer and mil's freezer (about 1 month supply in each), but this works so much better and it stays fresher longer. I have always made alot of milk, but I am finding it more challenging to eat enough calories during the day this time. When I get up in the middle of the night to let the dog out, I am starving and end up eating a protein/fiber bar and a glass of milk to tide me over until breakfast. I eat three meals, 3 snacks and most time the middle of the night snack. I already lost the pregnancy weight (32 lbs) and am down about 5 additional lbs from that - happened much quicker than with my first - pleasantly surprised!!

Sounds like you have great pump output, just wanted to make sure since your LO is eating a lot during the day, which can make it a challenge to keep up. I also suspected that you might have a fairly robust supply contributing to your LO's rapid weight gain and it sounds like that is the case! I hear you about the constant hunger/need to eat. I'm always skinniest when I'm nursing (after I've lost the pregnancy weight) - I have a hard time keeping up with all the calories I need. I keep a big bag of nuts in my office - lots of protein and good fats and really help take the edge off my hunger between meals! And I drink lots of milk too - I know not everyone likes it, but it really works for me. And yogurt. With my first baby I drank a lot of Odwalla shakes - but that was an expensive habit!