Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After my Lactation Consultant Appointment...

Default After my Lactation Consultant Appointment...

I had posted on the forum previously talking about my nipple shield 'woes' and my supp. with formula after meals. I was able to make an appointment with a Lactation Consultant and she was absolutely amazing.
    Baby latched immediately when she placed him on the breast and we weighed him and he drank 1 oz in 5 minutes. Which she said was really good...

We tried the other side and got him to latch as well of course he started getting fussy so we did put the shield on until he calmed down before we tried again..

I go home, and I'm having trouble getting him to latch She told me to be patient and to not give up and that she had no doubt with how well he did he'd be on the breast in no time.

But... I'm having issues of feeling "frantic" myself and I think I give up too soon during feedings with putting him on the breast. He still flails and screams and sometimes will latch and eat.

Again, even with the shield he still comes off the breast absolutely hysterical. Colic? Anyone have this issue where you nurse and nurse but the baby still cries?

I am giving him a little formula throughout the day and the consultant got me a referral for a double pump and I'm supposed to pump after every feeding for a few days to get my supply up b/c she thinks it could be a little low since he IS fussy after feedings however, he's 5 weeks old and was 6.8 at birth... he was 9.5ish at the lactation office..that's a great weight gain...so... I don't know what to think.

In fact, I'm not even sure my questions were clear. I'm just needing a sounding board.

Default Re: After my Lactation Consultant Appointment...

What did the LC say about the formula? Do you need to be giving your baby supplements (baby won’t gain without them) or, are you worried due to babies behavior and that is why?

Because a baby is only going to nurse if baby is hungry. (ok, yes babies also nurse for comfort-but not if they are stuffed to the gills.)

This does not mean, starve a baby into nursing. That does not work. But it does mean, think about the impact supplementing may be having on baby’s appetite and willingness to nurse.

Your baby is gaining wonderfully. You now know your baby is capable of latching and nursing effectively. If your baby can do that at one session with the LC, baby can do it every single time. (with variations-all babies fuss and nurse 'badly' on occasion, that is just normal) It was not the LC 'getting' baby to latch and nurse. Baby latched and nursed from you and got good milk transfer. The two of you can do it!

I think relaxation is key. If you are tense, baby can pick that right up. When I had latch and supply issues early on with my oldest, every nursing session was so stressful. I was desperate for my baby to latch, stay latched, and stay actively nursing for 'long enough' whatever that meant- I relaxed myself by singing silly songs i made up about baby and nursing and breastmilk ‘flow’ etc, set to the tunes of old pop songs.
    Since you liked this LC, I suggest, keep following up with her as needed. See her for a followup if you can, or just call her. I had three in person appts and at least that many phone calls with my wonderful LC with my oldest.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 21st, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Default Re: After my Lactation Consultant Appointment...

The LC gave good advice about being patient. It's so common for babies to latch like an absolute dream at the LC's office, but not at home. When I was having trouble nursing my first daughter, I actually fantasized about breaking into the LC's house and stealing her nursing chair, which was the only place where I had ever gotten a good latch! But in time, my baby started to latch well even at home, in our regular, non-magical seating.

It's very normal for babies- especially very young babies- to fuss and cry and pull off the breast screaming when they're nursing. Nursing is a very tricky skill. It's pretty much the biggest physical challenge a healthy baby can face- breathing happens automatically, pooping and peeing happen unstoppably even if baby has no idea how to coordinate those sphincters. But nursing requires an immense amount of focus, coordination, and strength.

Often babies fuss when the letdown is too fast, and also when it's too slow. Their only way of expressing their upset is to cry. It's not that they hate nursing or anything like that- it's that the only way they know to fix a problem they are having or think they are having is to cry.

Some things to try for a baby who is frantic at the breast:
    - swaddle- that way baby can't lever himself off the breast using his flailing arms and legs
    - try to nurse baby before he is crying, since babies often latch better when their hunger isn't totally ranging and they are still somewhat calm
    - try nursing in bed- side-lying or other reclined positions can be calming for everyone, and you don't have to work as hard to position the baby
    - if baby becomes frantic, and is refusing to latch on or has popped off the breast and won't go back on, try offering a clean pinky finger to suck, with nail held down towards the baby's tongue instead of up, towards the delicate skin of the palate. Sucking on a finger can remind baby that- hey, this sucking thing is nice! All he has to do is to suck and he'll feel better!
    - try instant reward techniques- before latching baby on, express some milk onto the surface of the nipple, or dribble some expressed milk or even formula onto the nipple. The taste of milk can cue the baby to nurse a little more enthusiastically, if he is having trouble figuring out that latching + nursing + patience will eventually = milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"