Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast size changes during breastfeeding

Default Breast size changes during breastfeeding

I wasn't sure which forum category to put this in. I just wondered about other people's experienced with breast size changes during nursing. I was a small C cup before pregnancy and even during. Once I started breastfeeding, though, my breasts got so much bigger. I was measured as a DD a few months ago, and I am already bulging out of one side of my bra. My left side had always been bigger, but it is now the side with most milk, and also largest -- probably double the size of the right breast.

Anyway how did everyone else change during breastfeeding. I had read that breastfeeding doesn't change the breasts as much as pregnancy but I just don't believe that was the case for me. Also do your breasts return to previous size after you stop nursing? I am about 8-10 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight, and I'm in no real hurry to get back there, but I just wondered if I should expect to have gigantic breasts forevermore. I feel sometimes that I'm all bust!
    Breastfeeding stay-at-home mama of a 16-month-old daughter.

Default Re: Breast size changes during breastfeeding

If you want your breast to even out you can make them. You just have to nurse on the right side more. Like Try beginning every feed over there. My left breast was also larger and the larger producer and to even things out I pumped on the right side everyday until I could get more out of it in a session than the left. Viola! Even Boobs. My breasts are still bigger than they were pre-pregnancy. But so I am I.

Way too lazy for formula

Okay I have done that before. I just know my right side was always significantly smaller before. I know that doesn't have to do with milk production but the right one is like less fatty. But yeah I could train my breasts to make more on the right. What happens to the left If I do that?
    Breastfeeding stay-at-home mama of a 16-month-old daughter.

My boobs were how you described. And pre-baby the left was always bigger than the right. (Everyone has a dominant boob) And by doing that I was able to even up size and production. When I didn't work at it the left would be bigger again. But as long as I worked to keep the production UP the right things were even. Nothing "happens" to the left unless you ignore it entirely. It's still the dominant boob.

Way too lazy for formula

I have the same thing . . . right boob is smaller. My first daughter preferred the left side - so the right was always smaller. Now, second daughter prefers the right side and it seems to be slowly 'catching up'. Left one seems like it has the capacity to hold more milk though... I guess left is my 'dominant boob'. Funny how different each baby can be.
    Life is Beautiful.

this makes me curious - so is the left boob the dominant one if you are right handed?

My left boob too always has been bigger than the right, less fatty as PP described, and since bf the difference is more pronounced, about one cup size. My son prefers the left one and always has. He now since about 8 or 9 months hardly ever uses the right one but then he is 4 1/2 so it is a non issue. Funny enough he claims that milks still comes out of the right one, when he nurses there which is maybe once a month, as opposed to eft which he nurses from may be 5 days out of 7 on average, never going longer than 5 consecutive days without nursing.

I was an A cup before I got pregnant...then was C-D right before I went into labor (got fitted for nursing bras). Once my milk came in I was DD.

10 months later, still nursing, I'm a A-B. I've lost all my pregnancy weight plus some, I'm very slender. They look the same as they did before I was pregnant.

One side is and always was slightly larger than the other...I don't know a difference in milk production on either side though.

I'm left handed. So no.

Way too lazy for formula

I don't know my sizes, but fwiw I was back down to my pre-pregnancy breast size by about 6 months after I weaned.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous