Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby waking up since starting solids

Default Baby waking up since starting solids

Hi all,

I am desperate to find a solution to my baby and the introduction of solids food. I have tried 3 times to introduce solids and every time baby gets very gassy and also cry every hour at night. I am not sure if anyone has experience this and what can I do to help my baby. I have tried cereals, fruits and veggies and also mylecom drops and still he cries at night several times. If i stop solids he will sleep like an angel.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Baby waking up since starting solids

Hi mama, how old is your baby? Maybe it is just a matter of putting solids on hold for a week or two and trying again. Also, how much is baby eating? At the beginning just a small taste is fine - the idea is to get baby used to new tastes and textures, and to develop the motor skills to feed himself. It's not about getting calories at this point because that is coming from milk.

My baby is 6 months and 2 weeks and i gave him the first few days only a couple of spoon an he did ok afte that i gave him vaggies (the whole container) and we went off. Maybe is a matter of just feed him just a little bit but he love to eat

He gets very gassy at night and that is why he cries

Thanks for your input!

Hi mama, I'd probably just slow things down. Baby may act ready but his intestines might not be as ready as he is! I'd probably take a break for a day or two, then gradually re-introduce at a slower pace, and if he tolerates okay, then let him eat more. Remember this is a whole new experience for his digestive tract. Although the average baby may be ready at six months, for some babies it may take a little longer. There is really no rush. Until a year your milk is all he needs from a nutrition standpoint. Constipation and gassiness are baby's way of tell you to slow things down!

Thank you so much for the support. That is the plan for now just go very slow next time around.

Thank you!!

You're welcome, hope the gassiness gets better!

One way to go slow with spoon feeding is by letting baby control the feeding. If you hold your spoon or finger with a little food on it in front of your baby, if baby wants it, baby will open his mouth and lean forward and eat it! If baby does not want it, baby probably does not need it.

Baby grabbing spoon may simply mean baby wants to bite/hold/play with the spoon.

Or you can offer baby food he can eat himself with his hands.

Also it may matter what you are giving baby. Baby cerials, the oft suggested first food, are notoriously constipating, btw.

Baby food jars hold way more than many infants need or even can tolerate. Every 6 month old baby is different, but those 'age' or 'stage' jars are all the same size.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 25th, 2013 at 03:11 PM.