Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with nipple pain during pumping

Default Re: Need help with nipple pain during pumping

I don't have an IBCLC near me, but I called the LC from the hospital I delivered, she told me it sounds like thrush. I made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow, so we'll see. Thanks to all for the help!

good luck! grapefruit seed extract worked on my recurring thrush: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

While I have nothing to offer other than what the amazing ladies on here have suggested I want to say way to go for sticking to it! It takes a lot of love to continue doing something painful simply because you want to do what you feel is best for your lil one. Way to go Momma! There has to be an answer to your problem, and it'll probably blow you away by how easy it is, it's just gonna take a lil running around and a lot of questions. You're doing great!
    Ladybug's Momma

I just want to update everyone on what happened just incase anyone else has my problem. A couple of days after posting this thread I had a fever of 101.5. I also began to have intense pain in one of my breast the night before. It was later in the night so I went to the emergency room. I explained all of my symptoms of burning nipples over the past couple of weeks and the increasing pain to flat out intense pain in my right breast followed by the fever. After comparing and examining my breast I was told it was most likely not mastitis, just clogged milk ducts. However, they still prescribed me antibiotics to see if it would help. I actually ended up pumping in the ER before I left and again had intense burning and itching, it seemed like the burning was getting worse. It then dawned on me, none of the doctors or nurses I was seen by thought to ask me what I was using on my nipples. I had been using Medela's lanolin. I figured I would try something else just to see if it helped, before my next pumping session I coated my breast shields with olive oil instead of lanolin and I didn't have the intense itching right after pumping!!! It was unbelievable! So I kept using the olive oil for the next day. I was thinking the olive oil was to thin and that I liked the consistency of the lanolin so I then tried the Lansinoh lanolin, after reading around I gathered that Lansinoh's brand may be more pure. So the next pumping session I used the Lansinoh lanolin and again I had the intense burning and itching after pumping! Eureka! I figured out half of my issue the other half is trying to clear these clogged ducts. It seems as though it started on Tuesday the 23rd at night and is still an issue tonight Saturday the 27th. So while I am taking antibiotics now (since Friday morning) I know clogged ducts that sit for too long aren't good. I haven't read through any threads concerning this issue yet so I'll do that before posting another question. It seems as though I have exhausted my options as I have used warm compresses while massaging, taken hot showers while massaging, had my fiancé massage my breast with olive oil, had my fiancé try to suck the clogs free ( he really loves me. Haha), taken ibuprofen to relieve inflammation, used cold compresses after pumping, compressing the area firmly while pumping, massaging the area while pumping, getting on was fours letting my breast drop and pump and massage simultaneously, I even got my baby to latch on for a little while while I massaged, I've tried squeezing them firmly individually, quite honestly I don't know what else I can do. I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the update!

It's really interesting that the itching and irritation seems to be so closely linked to you using lanolin. Some people are allergic to it- maybe you're one! It's relatively rare but not unheard of. This link covers lanolin allergy: http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/wool...s-allergy.html

Your pump is a PISA, right? Since you're pretty much exclusively pumping, it might help to go up a level to a hospital-grade rental pump. That might help you with the plugs!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wow! good to know!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.