Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just need to talk to someone

Default I just need to talk to someone

I am a working mom pumping 5 days a week for my 6 1/2 month old. He is still nursing a lot at night. I think my supply is good during the day but I really just want to talk to someone. I work during the day so I cannot go to the support groups that are held during the week in my neighborhood. I think I'm doing a good job but I just need some encouragement and motivation to keep going. I am exhausted from no sleep at night and working all day and pumping is getting cumbersome. I would love to talk to someone.

Default Re: I just need to talk to someone

you are in the right place!! you are doing a great job.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! Definitely plenty of working & pumping moms on the forums here! It is hard. Getting up to nurse several times at night and then going to work in the morning exhausted is hard. Scheduling your day around pumping is hard. But for me it has always been worth it to be able to exclusively breastfeed. And although it seems like it goes on an on forever it does actually pass. I just pump weaned my third baby when she hit a year and now I'm enjoying nursing her WITHOUT pumping! Also I remind myself that when I'm done pumping, that means that they're done being babies (officially, anyway... my 13 month old is definitely still my baby!) and I try to remember when I'm up at night with the baby, or pumping at work that though I look forward to sleeping through the night again, not pumping etc., I don't look forward to them not being babies anymore! So I would encourage you to try to find some other ways of getting some rest - going to bed earlier, asking DH or family to help out with meals or around the house, taking naps on the weekend. And please let us know if you have specific questions you want us to answer!

Welcome to LLL. I think every lady on here knows how tedious pumping, nursing and being sleep deprived can be. BUT, you're doing a great job! You are doing what is absolutely best for your little one take care of yourself, and don't forget you're doing an AMAZING JOB!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Thank you for the encouraging words fellow mommies. I must be more overwhelmed then I thought because reading these posts brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in my family who understands the importance of this sacrifice I am making. I have a wonderful husband and extended family who support my efforts to bf and nurse but sometimes their subtle comments or suggestions frustrate me. I know that most of the time they are concerned about my well being because they see how exhausted I am. I have tremendous help from my husband and i do all the things that have been suggested but I have 3 other (grade school aged) children and I work full time so as you can imagine I am very overwhelmed with mommy responsibilities. And because I know how quickly my other 3 grew out of the baby stage I cherish every moment with my baby especially when we nurse. So although I am confident I am providing my baby with the best and I do not plan to give up, I still need some additional support from women who understand the way I am feeling.

mama, are you co-sleeping and sidelying nursing at night, so you can sleep through it?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Keep up the good work! 6 months is so hard because they begin to teeth. But you are definitely doing right by your baby. And in terms of how long you are going to parent this child, a year of pumping and not STTN is a small amount to invest in your child's overall health and well being. And we PROMISE, you will never be sorry you stuck it out when you look back on this time. Stay focused Mama. You can do this!

Way too lazy for formula

Hi mamma,
    Great job! I'm still at home with my lo - but I know what its like being soo exhausted. Is it possible to get your dh or someone in your family to take the kids for a few hours on a weekend and you could just sleep? Some things that help me - do something nice for yourself (a bath, a walk, an hour of mommy time), when cooking chili, lasagna etc double/triple the recipe and throw the extra into the freezer for dinner on those nights you just so need a break. When comments are given - reply with something they can do to help, like start a load of laundry. Either they will help (which many are happy to do because the are concerned for you) or they might avoid making comments because they don't want to do the work.. Learned this from my mom - every time one of us kids would say we were bored she would give us a chore to do . We quickly learned how not to be bored

Hi @Andrea - you've come to the right place for encouragement and camaraderie! These forums offer technical and emotional support ... and like-minded mamas when it comes to breastfeeding goals (which I find hard to find in real life). I have been breastfeeding, working, and pumping for almost 9 months now ... with 3-6 wakings/nursings each night. You are right, it is HARD WORK. You're doing an A-MAZ-ING job if you are managing all of that plus parenting three school age kids to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.godinez View Post
    Thank you for the encouraging words fellow mommies. I must be more overwhelmed then I thought because reading these posts brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in my family who understands the importance of this sacrifice I am making. I have a wonderful husband and extended family who support my efforts to bf and nurse but sometimes their subtle comments or suggestions frustrate me. I know that most of the time they are concerned about my well being because they see how exhausted I am. I have tremendous help from my husband and i do all the things that have been suggested but I have 3 other (grade school aged) children and I work full time so as you can imagine I am very overwhelmed with mommy responsibilities. And because I know how quickly my other 3 grew out of the baby stage I cherish every moment with my baby especially when we nurse. So although I am confident I am providing my baby with the best and I do not plan to give up, I still need some additional support from women who understand the way I am feeling.
    Trust me you're not alone. I work full time as the VP of a big company. Work pump work pump all day and then getting as much time with my 9 month old as possible. Co sleeping, mornings before work, evenings as soon as I walk in and all weekend long. She's a nurse all night baby with frequent wakings and some days I want to cry I'm so tired. I think about calling in sick and then I somehow muscle through the day. Big big sacrifices for our little ones huh? I often go to bed with her at 8pm!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12