Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperately need help...

Default Desperately need help...

My daughter is 2 1/2 months old and I have been having a hard time breastefeeding.I feed her every 2 to 3h. She will feed for 5-10 min and then starts to fuss, she is pulling on my nipple, turning her head but still desperately sucking on the nipple... I can hear her swallowing the milk but after that 5-10 min seems like nothing is coming out Or she gets frustrated that the milk flow slows down. i tried to switch sides up to 3 times but still she cries like she is starving and my nipple hurt so bad from her sucking and nothing coming out... Also after all feelings within minutes she is putting her fists in to her mouth like she is still hungry... That happens also after I gave her bottle... I usually feed her bottle at night as she is felling asleep and nothing helps when I try waking her up. I am thinking that she got used to the the flow from the bottle and she gets frustrated at the breast later???? Not sure,also when I pump I can usually get 2 oz from each breast... Does it mean she is not satisfied as I have low milk supply? I have got the mothers milk and the fenugreek 2 days ago to get my supply higher... Also last few day after she feeds I have really bad burning sensation in my nipples, Do I have some kind of infection or is it because she sucks so much? Please help! And all help is appreciated!

Default Re: Desperately need help...

Is this behaviour relatively new? I wonder if it could be thrush -the burning pain in your nipples sounds like a yeast infection. Are there any white patches in your LO's mouth? Sometimes thrush can cause a baby's mouth to feel itchy, so they pull off the nipple. Any other signs of thrush, like pink nipples, cracks, yeast infection/diaper rash, any recent antibiotic use?

Hi! The behavior started I would say 2 weeks ago. No antibiotics, no diaper rash, I also don't see anything in her mouth, she likes to suck on pacifier and can suck on it for some time too so I don't think she experiences any discomfort. Regarding the pain it usually last few minutes after she feeds and lasts 2-3 min... My right nipple is cracked as I had inverted nipples and we had horrible time to latch her on at the beginning...

hi mama! sorry to hear you're struggling. when you say you feed her every 2 - 3 hours - how do you decide when to feed her?

pumping 2 oz from each breast is actually a sign that you DO have enough milk - that would be pretty average output for a mom away from her baby/missing a feeding. and often pumps are less effective than babies at getting out milk. HOWEVER, the other things you say about pulling on your nipple sound like they may indicate lower supply. so i'm wondering if you're feeding her on demand, how many total times per day she's eating, whether she's getting milk or formula in that nighttime bottle, and why you're giving it. also what is her weight gain history (and whether those weights were on the same scale, naked).

the burning in your nipples is not normal and i wonder about how good her latch is. is the right nipple crack healing? is the pain there worse than the other side?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks so much ladies for replying!!! Makes is a bit easier to handle knowing someone is listening/ reading

Oh my another rough evening... The same story I feed her and after few min she pulls away from the breast so I offer another one, she drinks and again after few min starts to fuss. This time after, I offered her bottle( with breast milk) and she didn't take IT!!?? But right after she is trying to suck on her fingers... No clue...

She usually eats 6-8 times now... When she is hungry she is trying to suck on her fingers she is also sucking real hard on the pacifier and spits it up constantly.

I always feed her breast milk from bottle at night, she is lazy drinker at night and constantly feels asleep sometimes, honestly she would suck for 1,5 h also When she was born I was struggling with latching her on and she wasn't drinking enough so I started pumping and feeding her bottle.

She was born 7 lbs 3 oz at 2 months she was 10 lbs 12 oz( weights were taken naked on the same scale) also she has lots of wet diapers and poops at least once a day.

Can it be that she pulls away that way as she is not hungry any more?? It sound weird but I honestly not know what to think any more...

Regarding the nipple-now both breast have that burning sensation on the same level...

hi mama, thanks for the more info.

around this age babies can start to get more alert and distactible. they also can start to teethe. both are a little earlier than average, but that doesn't mean they're not happening.

eating only 6-8 times in 24 hours is LESS than average, though. the first thing i would do is feed her MORE often. if she pulls away, do like you've been doing and offer the other side. if she still fusses, get up and walk her around for a few minutes, then offer again. and try to offer at LEAST 10 times every 24 hours. her weight gain is minimally satisfactory (about 7 oz a week), so i this might help

why do you feed her breast milk from the bottle at night? comfort nursing is a normal thing, healthy for the baby and for your milk supply. if you've figured out the latch now (good for you!!!) then why keep pumping and bottle-feeding? and how much do you offer/how much does she take?

and is the nipple crack healing? do you see any red, pink, or flaky patches on your nipples? is the pain new, or has it been continuous from her bad latch when she was newborn?
    Last edited by @llli*auderey; April 19th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks again! I will feed her more often and will see if it helps. I was bottle feeding her as it is faster for me to give her bottle and then pump. If I offer breast she usually feels asleep when drinking from the first breast and I need to pump anyway. I tried to waking her up but honestly nothing works...

The nipple is much better than what it was before, when she latches on I still feel pain but it goes away after 10 sec. And about the nipple... When she feeds on it and unlatches the tip of the nipple is white and that turns to kinda yellowish crust when dries... I am afraid that it might be some kind of yeast infection...

i double checked on the weight gain, and 7 oz is fine (http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/). but 6-8 times a day is still on the low end. so keep offering.

now, at night - what happens if you just let her nurse from the first and then fall asleep? this is in fact pretty common and not a problem. and then you do not need to pump the other side in that case, unless you're having supply problems. you might be a little full on that side, might need to hand express to comfort, but then just offer that side first on the next nursing. wouldn't that be easier?

when she unlatches, what shape is the nipple? symmetrical? new lipstick?

i'm not sure about the yellowish discharge. here's an old thread that might help: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ed-nipple-HELP!

tip of nipple is white: like blanched? that might be Raynaud's. does any of this sound familiar? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Thanks again! At night she takes one breast and then fells asleep... Last few days I breastfeed her more often but the behavior did not change... She is nursing and after some time she starts to fuss

I think she might not be properly latched... The left nipple is sometimes is a shape of new lipstick after she unlatches but the right one is normal...

Thank you also for the links!!! I have contacted lactation consultant and was advised to soak the nipples in salty water ( 1 cup warm water+1/2 tbsp of salt)...

lipstick does mean latch isn't great. did lc give you advice about that? check this out, often a magical latch fixer: http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

also sometimes babies just fuss... but that's different from what you originally said which is she pulls on your nipple then roots again. is she still doing that a lot?

oh and why does the lc want you to soak in salt water? what did she think was wrong?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13