Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for advice

Default Desperate for advice

Hello, I'm new here. I haven't been able to reach my LC and have had a lot of trouble this week. I've been having some major problems with let down. It seems that I can only let down every 4-5 hours. I know I'm not letting down bc my son (8 mo old) will suck and suck with few swallows. Plus I've always been able to feel it. I've felt lately that my supply has been really low and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. DS has always nursed every 2 to 2 1/2 hours his whole life. But lately if I don't let down within 30 seconds, he starts to pull off and eventually refuses to nurse. He is only getting the few drops there before let down. There is no flow. For the past 24 hrs the only times I've been able to successfully nurse him is while he is asleep. It takes forever to let down, but since he's asleep it works out. He won't take a bottle so I feel very stressed that he isn't getting enough, though his diapers seem to be ok. Since he's so busy playing, he hasn't been overly fussy but he does show interest in nursing. He does not eat much solids yet. So we rely solely on breastfeeding.

I've always seemed to let down quickly and easily in the past and in the beginning had an oversupply. I started noticing some trouble in feb (when ds was 6m) but it was very short lived and only happened once or twice. Maybe a few times in march, and now again. This has been going on since Tuesday. Could this be hormonal? I have not had a period yet, but wondering if it may start soon.

Any advice would be helpful!

Default Re: Desperate for advice

Welcome!

As long as diaper output continues to be normal, I think you're okay. It can't come out if it didn't go in, right?

Some possible explanations for what you're experiencing:
    - Everything is totally normal, and you've simply lost your letdown sensation as your body has adjusted to making just the right amount of milk, and no more. If this is the case, the baby's fussy nursing behavior may be explained by him having to get used to a more hard-to-get-at letdown, and the solution is to tough it out and let him figure out how to generate the letdown he wants.
    - Your period is about to return, and you're having a temporary dip in supply related to that. Even if it doesn't come back this month, you could be experiencing some of the hormonal fluctuations associated with the menstrual cycle.
    - Your baby is fussy due to teething (what 8 month old isn't teething? ).
    - Your baby is fussy due to illness- babies who have ear infections or other ailments often nurse less and act fussy about it.
    - There's absolutely nothing wrong with the baby, and he's just in an extremely distractible and impatient phase.
    - You're pregnant...? Or perhaps taking a hormonal contraceptive that's impacting supply?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your reply! I am pretty sure it may be due to hormones and a recent illness I experienced. My supply seems to be increasing some, and I am able to let down more easily, but it still takes a long time. However now that my supply is lower, he is extremely impatient and won't stay latched on for long/ constantly pulling off. I have had to pump to stimulate let down and then latch him on. I hope this is just a phase that passes. Any advice?? I am just concerned because I know he's not nursing and getting quite as much as he usually would.

My advice is to be very, very, very patient. Offer frequently. Make nursing fun- try squirting milk in his mouth, try wearing a necklace that he can play with while you nurse. Nurse him at night, even if that means waking you both out of a sound sleep- many babies nurse better when slightly drowsy than they do when awake. Nurse him in a warm bath.

And if baby isn't nursing often enough or well enough to maintain supply, try throwing some pumping sessions into the mix. A higher supply might mean faster, easier letdowns and more nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"