Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping overnight feedings, but not nursing more during day

Default Dropping overnight feedings, but not nursing more during day

I posted yesterday in the toddler forum about some transition questions I have about how to go from food before one is for fun to life after one...

And I have a somewhat related question today. My 10 month old daughter has started nursing less overnight. She was nursing 3ish times (not including nursing to sleep) and the past couple of nights she has only stirred around to nurse once. I'd be happy, except that she's a notoriously distracted daytime eater and she isn't nursing more to make up for those missed overnight nursings. (I already do the dark quiet room thing - I spend my day in a dark quiet room.) She also rarely, if ever, cues to eat, so I'm the one offering all the time.

Anyway, I've tried dreamfeeding her, but unless she is already stirring around, she will barely nurse at all so it's just a waste of sleep for me to try to get her to take more.

Also, she hasn't increased her solids intake either. Just is nursing less.

Her weight gain has always been okay - on the low side of normal. But her diapers the past couple of days since she started this have been less wet, especially those overnight diapers. They usually count for at least two diapers they're so soaked...but the past couple mornings they're just a regular wet diaper.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Default Re: Dropping overnight feedings, but not nursing more during

My LO is the same age--he nurses twice at night, once if he gets a really good stretch of sleep, but mostly 2x consistently. I have the same problem with nursing during the day; it just won't happen for more than one or two minutes in a quiet room unless he is nursing down for one of his two naps. So he gets in 5 good feeds, and 2 two-minute feeds per day. He pediatrician recommended we feed him 3 meals a day, and I include cereal with his breakfast and dinner because I can mix about 2 oz of BM in as a way to sneak more into his daytime diet. What kind of solid intake does your LO have? Can you talk to her Dr. about solids/nursings? If she's interested in solids, you could mix BM with some other food, either cereal or purees, to get increase her intake. I guess the quantity of solids you feed is based on your own feelings and philosophy about that vs more breastfeeding. For most people, it seems to be a personal choice.

One more suggestion: I know you said that her diaper output is less during the night now, but what if, when you tried to wake her for another nursing session, you changed her diaper? This always wakes my LO up (he hates it! and therefore I've been using the 12 hr overnight diapers). I know waking a sleeping baby is contradictory to many of our desires to catch more Zzzs, but it's something you could try to make a dreamfeed more productive.

My other thought, and this is just a total guess since I'm fairly new to the whole mama/baby thing, is that she is sleeping more and will eventually make up for the lost calories during the day. Most babies/toddlers will start STTN between 18-24 months anyways, so nursing at night won't last forever.

Now we're having the opposite problem. She's back to her normal 3ish wakings at night to nurse, but now she's all but refusing three of her daytime feedings. Our usual routine has been:

Nurse at 8am
    Nurse down and through nap from 9-10
    Nurse at 12pm
    Nurse down and through nap from 1-3
    Nurse at 5:30
    Nurse down and through short nap 6:30-7:00
    Nurse down to sleep 8:30
    Nurse around midnight, 3 and 5

The past several days she's almost totally refused the three daytime feedings that aren't associated with falling asleep for naps. Those have always been her shortest, least interested nursings, but now she barely stays on until letdown. She's usually actively swallowing when she pulls off, so I know there is milk. And I don't spray or anything, so I don't think it's a fast letdown issue. She just doesn't want it. But she isn't nursing more at night or taking more solids. Her diapers are still slightly less wet than they used to be, but still "okay" as far as what they should be. I've been more deliberate about offering solids (always after nursing), but she usually just takes 2-3 small bites and maybe 2-3 sips of water.

Is it normal for older babies to drop nursings without making up for the calories elsewhere? Again, her growth has always been okay - on the lower side of normal. If she was a big, chunky baby, I wouldn't worry at all. But she's a petite little thing...which I would be totally okay with if she would just demand to eat once in a while!!

Bump!

Should this be worrying me? She's still almost completely refusing those three awake daytime feedings, but not picking up extra calories anywhere else...