Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update on my progress

Default Update on my progress

Hi Everyone, [sorry this is long]

thanks for all your previous support, im not a regular poster but im always reading the forums for advice.

My DD is nearly 5months and im still breastfeeding; Im really proud of myself. I always said during my pregnancy that I would never breastfeed, I dont know why exactly but I think I was due to my contact with my SIS who both breastfed but seemed to have a really rough time with it, so I assumed that It wasnt for me. Even at my 20week appt, I remember telling the midwife, that I wasnt breastfeeding when she asked. I think I thought that I was going to be pressurized into it and that made me turn the other way.My husband didnt have any influence in decision, he has always said it was my decision

So basically I went to all anti natal classes breastfeeding was last class,I was 31 weeks pregnant at this stage and I remember thinking that the class was going to be awful, just someone trying to force their opinion.This was the changing point for me, I found the class brilliant, the midwife was lovely; no pressure just all information. Thats when I said to my husband I had changed my mind, I owed it to myself to try it and have my own experience of breastfeeding instead of being influenced.

He was surprised because he knew that I was certain about not BF. I also didnt want to put too much pressure on myself so even though I had decided to Bf, if it didnt work out for whatever reason that I would not beat myself up. I really dont know why I was so against BF but in the end I didnt have a chance to think about it.When DD was born she was put up on my belly and I held her up close to me and she nuzzled into my breast and she latched straight away. It was just so amazing to see how satified she was after her little feed and her little milk/colostrum milk moustache.

Sorry this is so long,
    Reading back on my previous post for advice, im ashamed. When DD was 3mts I caved into pressure from comments from people and I honestly thought I was doing something wrong[1st time mother]. The usual q's is she sleeping, R you still feeding her at night? I am ashamed to say I put my previously demand fed baby on a routine. I thought I was doing the right thing. I initially used it to make sure DD wasnt getting overtired because I wasnt sure how long she was able to stay awake for and not keep her up too long, I was getting confused.

From just wanting to help with naps to following the routine to the letter, we did this for 3 weeks, it worked like a dream but I was so uncomfortable about restricting my baby and letting a book decide how to look after her. Her weight gain stopped during this period I noticed this at her check up but Im happy to report that we are back to demand feeding and I think I was doubting myself and jumped the gun because I didnt realise she had her own little pattern and its ever changing but she knows best.

So thats where we are at the moment, nearly 5mts BF, was back to work nearly a month ago and DD is geting bottles of breastmilk when Im not with her and I feed her in the mornings before she goes and during the evening and night. Im lucky because I chose how I work and still pay the bills and get the best of both worlds.My minder is my cousin and she is well informed about my decision to breastfeed, how to fed her with bottles and she is totally happy to follow babys lead.

I want to continue to Bf as long as possible, we are going on hols to portugal when DD is 6 1/2mts and I intend to carry on breastfeeding exclusively on holidays[think I read somewhere that they drink more often for shorter to get more foremilk to keep them hydrated].

Im wondering after that when to introduce solids, Im happy to do this after 7mts or when DD seems interested but as was said before 'food before 1 is for fun'; I just want to get information for when DD shows interest, how do I go about it and when to introduce sippy cup, would you heat breastmilk still in the cup? do they need any other liquids?

Default Re: Update on my progress

Oh, please don't be ashamed at caving in to the pressure from friends/family/society. It's really difficult- especially as a first-time mom- to not let the comments get to you. And even though you caved, you remained flexible and listened to your baby and to your own gut, and went back to on-demand nursing!

Most guidelines suggest introducing solids at 6 months. At first, the quantity the baby eats- if she chooses to eat anything at all- will be small. A teaspoon or two per day is sufficient to give the baby a fun new learning experience, and fun is what it's all about because solids aren't necessary for nutrition until around 12 months. So if baby eats some solids, great! And if she simply tastes them and then spits it all back out, still great. And if she won't even open her mouth, and prefers to explore the solids with her hands, still great.

So solids are just for fun, but you still want to be a little careful about timing. Offer them soon after you nurse, so that baby is still mostly full of milk and doesn't fill up on solids instead of nursing.

How you serve your baby solids is up to you. Some moms and babies are comfortable with spoon-feeding and purees. Others- like me- prefer to let their babies self-feed right from the very beginning, which is an approach called baby-led solids (lots of BLS threads here, if you're interested). Good foods for starting self-feeders can be things like boiled, shredded meats, smashed black beans, mashed steamed vegetables, O-shaped cereal, whole peeled fruits that baby can lick and gnaw, etc.

A sippy full of breastmilk or water is not necessary when you're starting out with solids. Baby can still get all her needs for liquid met by mom, provided mom is nursing on demand. Around 9-10 months, a lot of moms start offering a sippy full of water or expressed milk with meals, just to get baby used to using it. But a baby may not actually use the sippy as more than a toy until closer to a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply,
    Im very interested in the baby led solids approach but any of the threads I have read the comments are about spoon feeding and purees. When the time is right I want to let my baby self feed also. Can you point me in the direction of these specific threads.

The BLS information is sprinkled throughout the Introducing Solids forum. Instead of searching for it, it might be easier to post a new thread entitled "Baby Led Solids Questions" or something similar, and ask your specific questions there. I am sure you will get a ton of responses!

I did go looking for the BLS threads but I didn't have the patience to page through all the threads searching for just the right ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"