Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night and other 9 M questions...

Default Sleeping through the night and other 9 M questions...

My LO is 9 months old and would be sleeping through the night if I'd let her. When I wake up (usually around midnight, then around 5am) I get her and latch her on. The other night she slept from midnight till 7am (I didn't wake up either). Is this ok for my supply? I'm concerned about mastitis as well. She nurses about 6-7 times in a 24 hr period now. (I only do one side per feed because she seems full with one). Should I let her sleep at night and maybe pump? (I've never pumped - I'm at home with her). Also, she eats yogurt for breakfast and then 1.5 jars of baby food for dinner at 5:30pm (half veg, half meat, half fruit). Is this about average? Just wondering how you "experts" think I'm doing - any advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
    ps. weight/diapers all good!

Default Re: Sleeping through the night and other 9 M questions...

My understanding is that if you are nursing on demand, offering the breast whenever baby seems hungry, and if baby is making plenty of wet diapers, growing appropriately and hitting milestones, there is no need to wake to feed her or pump in the night. She is getting what she needs and your body will respond exactly right. That said, my intuition has been that my breasts feeling like they need to feed the baby is another type of feeding cue! Only because I've found that when my breasts are full of milk, my baby is usually ready to nurse and sometimes my breasts tell me before she does. So if I wake up at night and my breasts feel full, I will generally see if she'll latch on in her sleep.

I think you're doing everything exactly right! Another thing I would add is, have you tried offering your baby any finger foods? You are the best judge of which foods, flavors and textures she's ready to handle at which time. And I think this is another place to trust your instincts. But I found that at around 9 months, my baby suddenly got really good at feeding herself...if she's grabbing everything in sight and putting it in her mouth, she'll probably feed herself! It makes meal times more fun and easier because we can all sit at the table together and just feed her some version of whatever we are eating, and it's really fun to watch her explore new foods that way. Just an idea!

with the excellent advice from the PP. I would only add that until a year, you want to nurse soon before offering solids. That way baby fills up on super-food (breastmilk) rather than on solids, which are great but don't provide perfectly balanced, ideal nutrition.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your answers! I'm dying for the day when she wants to eat by herself! I can't wait to let her taste lots of things. So far though she doesn't seem ready. If she gets more than a teeny pinch of my homemade muffin in her mouth she gags, and seems to prefer pureed baby food. She has no teeth so far either - which has been great for BFing! Also, I always BF about an hour before her solids. I just wanted to make sure we were on the right track because I'd really like to nurse her as long as I can, hopefully till she weans herself.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammadiliv View Post
    I'm dying for the day when she wants to eat by herself! I can't wait to let her taste lots of things. So far though she doesn't seem ready.
    In my experience, which is limited, going from only handling purees to feeding herself different tastes and textures can happen quickly!! You might end up with a 10 month old who feeds herself 3 meals a day. Or it might take another few months. Lots of variation on this one and on the timing of teeth, from what I have read here and talking to other moms. You are right not to wish for teeth! I am dealing with a biter right now and it's not easy!

I'd say enjoy the sleep!!! My 10 month old has NEVER slept that good. I'm lucky at night if he gives me one good 4 hour stretch. I'd love to sleep soundly from midnight to 7 am; totally jealous! Seriously, I agree with PPs; if growing appropriately and having good diaper output, then no worries. Also if you wake and your breasts feel full or uncomfortable, by all means get that baby and nurse. My son never turns down an opportunity to nurse at night (during the day when it's "playtime" it's a whole different story). I would also add that the good sleep may not be lasting too much longer--teething will definitely cause more night wakings. My LO started teething at 4 months, so this is maybe why he has yet to develop into a good sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andie613 View Post
    I'd say enjoy the sleep!!! My 10 month old has NEVER slept that good. I'm lucky at night if he gives me one good 4 hour stretch. I'd love to sleep soundly from midnight to 7 am; totally jealous! Seriously, I agree with PPs; if growing appropriately and having good diaper output, then no worries. Also if you wake and your breasts feel full or uncomfortable, by all means get that baby and nurse. My son never turns down an opportunity to nurse at night (during the day when it's "playtime" it's a whole different story). I would also add that the good sleep may not be lasting too much longer--teething will definitely cause more night wakings. My LO started teething at 4 months, so this is maybe why he has yet to develop into a good sleeper.
    I'm slightly jealous too. What the heck is sleep? Even 4 hours sleep? Haven't seen that since pregnancy. And my 9 month old has no teeth, tho a couple bottom ones are getting close.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12