Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to transition from "food before 1 is just for fun"?

Default How to transition from "food before 1 is just for fun"?

My daughter will be 10 months old on Sunday and I'm starting to think ahead to when she turns one (sniff, sniff!). I know food before one is just for fun, but how do you transition after the first year into making food more important?

This question is made more confusing for me because my daughter has never been a demanding nursling, so I've always offered proactively. If she demanded to nurse often enough, I would feel more comfortable letting her lead the way on making solids more important. But as it stands, I basically offer every feeding and then offer solids 1-3 times per day (usually 1 or 2). She's showing a tiny bit of interest in them, usually taking 5-6 bites or so before being done. We are not doing BLS because she had major gagging in the beginning and, because of my older son's extensive feeding issues, I have some food-related PTSD and I couldn't cope with her gagging. So, she's eating chunky mashed foods, thicker purees, etc. She's starting to manage small bites of bread, ground turkey, yogurt puffs, etc. For the first time ever, she figured out how to sip from a straw cup today and took a couple drinks of water. That's the only liquid she's ever had away from the boob.

So, long story short, I'm feeling anxious about where to go when she turns one. I'm in no hurry to wean her and would prefer she nurse for a long time still. However, I am pretty done with having to be so proactive about her nursings. I want to "wean" her to just when she cues. So, doing that in conjunction with making solids a more important part of her diet has me confused and anxious.

Right now her day usually goes like this:

Nurse at 8am-ish
    Nurse to sleep and during nap from 9:30-10:30
    Solids after nap (she nurses through, so solids are still coming after nursing)
    Nurse around noon
    Nurse to sleep and through nap from 1-3
    Solids after nap or a little later
    Nurse around 5:30
    Nurse down for a short nap around 6:30
    Nurse to sleep around 8:30
    Nurse overnight around midnight, 3 and 5 (sometimes just twice)

Maybe the first transition should be to only nurse on her cue? And keep solids after nursings for a while still until I get a feel for how often she would cue now? (The reason I'm offering so often is because she would truly go several hours between nursings otherwise.)

Thanks for your thoughts! I obviously hate change! And I should add, I'm not feeling like I have to change anything...more so, I want to move away from me having to be so proactive and, what feels like, orchestrating her nursing sessions.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to transition from "food before 1 is just for fun"?

Should also add that many of those nursing sessions are very short, or distracted or both!

By being more diligent about food and including your child in the the ritual of meal times NOW. By 10 months old my son was eating 3 formal meals a day. In that I sat him in the highchair at some point in the morning for about a half hour while he played with Dried Cheerios and Fruit or Toast crust and yogurt or fruit, we at lunch together, and we sat down every night with my DH every night for dinner. By a year he was eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. We continued to nurse on demand. Weaning BEGINS at one year old. It doesn't happen there. At the year point you want your child to be going through the motions of eating enough solid food while having nursing fill in the gaps. As in, you are sitting your child down 3 times a day plus making a point of feeding a snack between breakfast and lunch and one in the afternoon, but she picks at and eat very little dinner still. So you nurse. You are diligent with ritual. And Don't fall into ruts of only feeling your kid 6 things. Keep filler crap off the menu, and while you are teaching your child to eat healthy, you use your breastmilk to fill the gaps and give you the confidence to continue.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks. We started today with breakfast (yogurt and tiny bites of toast with a straw cup of water) at the table with the rest of the family. She ate very little (like one bite of yogurt and one sip of water) probably because we had just nursed in bed. But I guess it's a start. I'll be more organized about getting her 3 meals in.

It's the "nursing on demand" where I'm stuck. Because she so rarely demands. I feel like I need a plan for when to offer and if I should decrease offering to allow her more hunger for solids (later - after a year)?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    It's the "nursing on demand" where I'm stuck. Because she so rarely demands. I feel like I need a plan for when to offer and if I should decrease offering to allow her more hunger for solids (later - after a year)?
    yes, this is what i would do. i know you said you're "done" with the being proactive, but i think if you want breastmilk to be her primary till 1, then you need to keep it up for another 2 months. at that point, you could just experiment and see when she cues.

we are pretty different from djsmom in our food philosophy around here. i don't think it's really that important that kids get used to the ritual of 3 meals/3 snacks by age 1. i mean, they pick it up eventually, but we just fed DS when he was hungry. we ate, we gave him some of our food when he wanted it, and that was it. we didn't do special routines or rituals, we didn't cook special food, just whatever we had, whenever we had it, that he could eat and wanted, he got some of. now at 22 months he's on a pretty solid routine of breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/(snack), but his eating is USUALLY more spread out than ours - he'll eat slowly but continuously for an hour, whereas i finish my breakfast in 5 or 10 minutes. but that's ok. and if you only feed your kid 6 things but that covers a variety of healthy food, that's ok too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for your reply! When I said I was done orchestrating her nursings, I meant I want to be done with that at one. And move to a more child-led, on demand nursings. (What I wish we could have done all along!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    (What I wish we could have done all along!)
    i bet!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    we are pretty different from djsmom in our food philosophy around here. i don't think it's really that important that kids get used to the ritual of 3 meals/3 snacks by age 1. i mean, they pick it up eventually, but we just fed DS when he was hungry. we ate, we gave him some of our food when he wanted it, and that was it. we didn't do special routines or rituals, we didn't cook special food, just whatever we had, whenever we had it, that he could eat and wanted, he got some of. now at 22 months he's on a pretty solid routine of breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/(snack), but his eating is USUALLY more spread out than ours - he'll eat slowly but continuously for an hour, whereas i finish my breakfast in 5 or 10 minutes. but that's ok. and if you only feed your kid 6 things but that covers a variety of healthy food, that's ok too.
    I didn't make him special food. He ate what we eat at the year point. And I absolutely let him graze. As in if he didn't finish lunch we would move his plate from the highchair to the coffee table so he could eat off it until the next meal time. No pressure around food was actually VERY important to me. But so was structure and not getting to the place where he was still VERY VERY dependent on my milk after the year point. There was a growth spurt at 14months that was a BEAR and I an very glad I was not dilly dallying around with food at the point or his sole source of nutrition because I was back at work and even with 3 meals a day and 2-4snacks it was STILL an asston of nursing. And it sounds like you landed where I was going only it took you an extra year to get there. And please tell me what 6 foods you can feed a kid that cover the variety that you need to be healthy. Please. Because I am about to list all the ones that land every parent I know who isn't diligent about food in a rut right between 18months and 3 years old. Ready? Cheese, Pasta, cereal, crackers and some meat. I hear that that is ALL kids will eat ALL. THE. TIME.
    I can't really think of a 6 food rut that will give your kids all the nutrients they need. But I am : very interested in what you got on that.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; April 19th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Way too lazy for formula