Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Nipple Piercings

Default Breastfeeding and Nipple Piercings

I am 25 weeks pregnant and due August 1st, 2013. I have my nipples pierced and am planning to take the jewelry out before my due date. I want to keep them in as long as possible because i have only had them done since June 2012, but i don't want to have any complications with breastfeeding. I know that they will likely leak more due to the holes and i am ok with that. I need advice as to when i should take them out. Ultimately, i would love to keep them pierced but I will not breastfeed with jewelry in and i don't want to have a place for bacteria to grow if i put the jewelry in here and there to keep them pierced. Does anyone have advice for me? Also, if i take them out too late will they get infected from breastfeeding while healing or closing up? I have never had a piercing close up so i don't even know if this will happen.
    I have tried to do my research online but there doesn't seem to be any good advice or research, so i am reaching out to other moms or piercers that might have any piece of advice for me. I have asked my piercer and one mom who had them pierced. The mom just said she was annoyed because they leaked and said i should take them out asap to avoid this...but I'm not that worried about that. Piercer just said everyone is different and basically didn't have anything else to say. I understand that everyone is different, i just want to hear all the "differences" so i know what I'm in for.
    Thank you so much for reading and if you have any good advice/experience please pass it on to me!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Nipple Piercings

I hate to say it, but I think your piercer was right: there's no good answer to your question about timing because everyone is different. A piercing that might close up rapidly on woman A might never close up on woman B.

I am guessing that the most likely complication you're facing is leaking. Putting jewelry in from time to time to keep the piercings open seems unlikely to result in infection provided you use normal sanitary precautions (use clean jewelry, wash your hands, etc.), and producing milk is unlikely to cause infection because breastmilk is very clean and actually contains a lot of probiotic substances which help foster the growth of friendly bacteria. Nevertheless, I would take a wait and see approach to using jewelry during nursing- if you find it's irritating your nipples or causing infection, it's probably best to let the piercings alone, even if that means that they close up and you'll someday need to have them redone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Nipple Piercings

Did you see this recent article on body modification and breastfeeding in our international online magazine? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000001_BT_PDF/bt16.pdf

lots of info

My oldest son was born on August 1