Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I substitute a nursing session for solids?

Default Should I substitute a nursing session for solids?

My DD's pediatrician said two things that didn't sound right for me:
    1) "Start substituting one nursing session and give her solids.
    2)Her diner should always be at the same time.

On (1), my objections has to do with my conviction that breast milk should still be her main food.
    what do you think??
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

Default Re: Should I substitute a nursing session for solids?

!Madre de Dios! !Malos consejos!

Until a year, breastmilk is supposed to be your baby's primary source of nutrition, with solids only complementing the milk in her diet, not replacing it. So you don't want to "substitute" solids for a nursing session until your baby is over a year! This is according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

There's no reason for dinner to always be at the same time, especially with such a young baby. Until a year, solids are primarily for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They're not necessary for nutritional purposes. So you can offer them when you want, as a fun learning experience. If baby wants to eat some, great. If she just tastes them and then spits them out, still great. And if she refuses to even taste them and prefers to explore them with her hands, still great!

The only rule you should follow with respect to timing of solids is that you should nurse before you offer the solids. Breastmilk is the healthiest food your baby can ever eat, so you want to make sure she maximizes her intake of it, rather than filling up on solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Red face Re: Should I substitute a nursing session for solids?

I thought the same @lillmomma!
    But I respect my careproviders opinion in general, so I wanted to test this one out with you gals before I started... Simona is 6 months this coming Apri 24th, so we'll start from next Wednesday, but knowing she'll have her "tetita" before her solids...
    Thanks!!
    Lupejazz
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

i think the "dinner at the same time" thing is parenting advice, not medical advice. ie, ignore it if it doesn't work for your family. what on earth could be the purpose of it?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks!!
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12