Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick...and no milk. Help!

Default Sick...and no milk. Help!

I woke up this morning with some kind of horrible virus. Feel like I've been hit by a truck. My husband had to go to work and I am so, so miserable that I had him take our 10.5 month old to daycare so I could stay in bed all day. I have my pump here. We nursed before they left around 7 and at 10 I got only 1 ounce of milk. Yesterday at that time I pumped 4-5 oz! I know that if I nurse on demand it will come back up, and when my baby was younger I would have just stayed in be with her all day but she is a crawling maniac now and I am worried when she gets home with my husband she will just get frustrated that there is no milk and bite me (she has been biting me so much and so hard the last few days, another problem for another thread I guess). Maybe I did the wrong thing by sending he to daycare but I can barely move here. Will my milk supply come back when I get better? It is so discouraging to basically use all my strength to hook up to the pump and then get so little.

Default Re: Sick...and no milk. Help!

That sounds really crummy

Are you staying hydrated enough to produce milk?

Hopefully someone who's BTDT will have some more thoughts...

Feel better soon mama

That sounds so stressful and frustrating! I would've done the same thing in your shoes -- taken baby to daycare to try to get some rest.

There is no way this is mastitis is there? Do you have breast pain:? Did any of the bites break the skin?

otherwise don't worry about pump output. First off it might be your pump, not you. Secondly, Even if you were not sick, one session or even one whole days worth of pump output is nothing to stress over. It is entirely normal for production to fluctuate. pump if you can but otherwise, Rest and get better.

My 8 month old has been biting bad too. Ugh. Kellymom probably has the best article I know of about biting, but sometimes it is just a stage and you have to ride it out.

Thanks for all of your replies. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be mastitis, so thanks for putting that out there. But I think it may be a weird manifestation of the same stomach bug my daughter had earlier this week. At first I thought maybe her illness had been causing her to nurse less and that was the cause of my pump output dip, but I've been pumping normal-for-me amounts all week until now. She had diarrhea with no other symptoms for a few days but was eating and drinking normally and totally fine otherwise. There is definitely something going around town here. I don't have any GI symptoms per se other than extreme nausea, also body aches, chills and weakness.

None of her bites have broken the skin. But they've been some of the worst pain I've ever felt!! I got REALLY frustrated yesterday. I think she's teething and it feels good to bite. So we've been giving her teethers and tylenol when it gets really bad, which helps. I've also been trying not to nurse her unless she really wants to drink. When she's hungry or tired, she'll nurse but if I offer to nurse her and she's not motivated to actually drink, she bites. I have tried the Dr. Sears method of pulling her into the breast so that she can't breathe for a second and she often just clamps down harder. Ending the nursing session does seem to be the most effective thing for now. Hopefully when her teeth aren't bothering her so much, it will stop.

Yes there is not anything quite like baby bite pain. I have had to start saying no bite and putting baby down. it makes me sad to be this firm, I know she has no concept thqat what she is doing is hurting me, but this is my second go around with a biting phase from her and last time I had such a painful bruise for a week we had to nurse 'upside down' on that side to keep her teeth away from the injured area.
    Good luck with the sickness and the biting!

You are more disciplined than me--when I feel those teeth clamping down, I often can't help but yell or squeal out in pain! I know this isn't the best reaction because when she sees me do this, she generally smiles devilishly and sometimes laughs! I try as best I can to calmly unlatch (unclamp) her and take a break from nursing until I can see she's relaxed and more likely to nurse without biting.

I read that when biting babies DO nurse well without biting, it's helpful offer praise. So I was trying this last night as she was nursing without biting and it was SO funny because just recently whenever she hears "good job" she will start clapping. So I would say "good job, you are nursing so gently" and she would have to unlatch and look at me, smiling, and clap for herself. I don't know where she learned this! It was TOO CUTE though. Makes it all worth it...

As for the pumping, I feel a lot better today and what do you know, I pumped my regular 4.5 oz this morning. So amazing what our bodies do...

You are more disciplined than me--when I feel those teeth clamping down, I often can't help but yell or squeal out in pain!
    oh I scream. Loud. I scare everyone except the baby who thinks it's funny.