Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking thumb

Lightbulb sucking thumb

Hello all, my little guy is almost three months old and he recently has started sucking his thumb, my concern is that this will decrease my supply as he will be sucking his thumb vs nursing, he seems to be nursing for shorter periods, he used to nurse for 45-an hour, and now he can nurse for 10 minutes and be done. I guess my question is should i attempt to stop the thumb sucking and if so how?

Default Re: sucking thumb

By 3 months, a lot of babies have discovered how to extract maximum milk in minimum time, so it's normal for nursing sessions to be shorter than when your LO was a newborn. Babies who discover that they enjoy thumb-sucking may choose to do their comfort sucking on their hands, rather than on mom. It's generally not a problem, because babies know that thumbs don't deliver milk and when they are hungry, they will swap thumb for breast.

If you're concerned, keep an eye on baby's diapers (good output = good input) and don't be afraid to offer the breast if baby hasn't nursed for a while.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: sucking thumb

Oh yeah, he has plenty of wet and poopy diapers and I make sure and offer every two hours during the day. I'm probably just being paranoid, we had a rough time starting out, and now the thumb sucking along the decrease in nursing time and I'm convincing myself that we are headed for disaster again. Ok, I'll just calm down and trust little one to know what he doing.