Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poor weight gain result of illness?

Default Poor weight gain result of illness?

My 4 month old has been battling a cold for the past 10 days. Some days are better than others, but he's extremely congested to the point where he's having trouble nursing at times and is also throwing up mucus and throwing up when he coughs. At his 4 month appointment on 4/1 he was 14.5 lbs. When my hubby took him to the doctors to make sure he didn't have anything more than a cold on 4/16, he was 14.7 lbs. He had been gaining an ounce a day between 3 and 4 months. Is this a normal result of his illness or do I worry? He has had some days of slowed appetite, but is otherwise hungry and eating.

Thank you for the perspective.

Default Re: Poor weight gain result of illness?

It is totally normal for weight gain to slow down as baby gets older. Babies do not keep growing at the rate they do as newborns or we would all be gigantic. Also a healthy baby may gain little or not at all in one two week period (or even longer in same cases) and then gain a lot the next, even if not ill. And yes an illness could certainly cause a weight gain "blip."

Was your doctor concerend in any way? Also,

Besides the cold, has anything else changed? Baby nursing less often, longer sleep stretches, you returning to work, have you started birth contro or any other meds that might affect milk production, sceduling feeds, sleep training? Do YOU think your baby seems unwell or not thriving in any way (aside from the cold.)

there may be no issue at all, and some of the changes above would be perfectly normal I am just poking around to see if anything is a red flag.

No, our doctor wasn't concerned. She's been very relaxed about the constantly poor weight gain. The only thing she has said is that it might be worth starting solids before 6 months. I haven't made a decision about that advice.

Red flags...not really. He's meeting all milestones and he's happy and alert. He's just a tiny peanut. The only thing that concerns me a little is that he is a prolific pooper. My daughter was a baby who pooped every several days. My son instead poops several times a day. I worry that the overactive output isn't helping him gain weight. I went back to work about a month ago, but I feel like that should have helped with the weight gain since he doesn't mind the bottle and gets more in each feeding that he probably gets when he nurses.

It could just be the cold. I'm so unsure.

Some entirely healthy babies simply do not gain as quickly as average. The poop is waste, yes if he pooped less often his weight checks numbers might be higher (assuming the check was done before rather than after a poop) but it would only be measuring waste that is sitting there but not been expelled yet and would not be a good indicator of health.

My 8 month old just went at least 21 days without pooping. I don’t know exactly how long it was because I did not even notice until we were on week 2.
    When she finally pooped of course it was a massive poonami. What if a doctor had weighed her the day before and then right after that poop? She may have been rushed to the hospital! I think she lost at least a pound, maybe 2. seriously.

Since you have weight gain concerns and are mulling over starting solids 'early' I strongly suggest the book "My Child Won't Eat." it's not much on Amazon, about 10 or 11 $ US. It's scope goes way beyond 'solids' and includes info about breastfeeding and weight gain, 'slow' weight gain interventions, weight/growth charts, etc. that I think will be very enlightening and quite possibly reassuring for moms with any age baby who is a slow gainer AND/OR not a big eater.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I think she lost at least a pound, maybe 2. seriously.
    This made me

I've had one prolific pooper and one baby who routinely went a week between poops. The prolific pooper actually gained somewhat faster than my once-a-weeker. The quirks of the infant digestive system are... Quirky. And just as with growth, there are normal babies on both ends of the spectrum.

As LLLMeg said, poop is waste. Frequent poop doesn't mean that your baby isn't deriving nutrition from his intake- it just means his colon empties more often.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

LLLMeg and Mommal - you two are the saviors of my breast feeding experience. Every time I freak out, you are kind and give such reassuring replies. I wish I had known about this forum with my first child.

I will look into that book! The description looks really interesting.

I'm sure that once the cold passes and the congestion clears, things will go back to "normal" and I can relax more about the weight gain.

Thank you, thank you!!!